Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: A Tasty Fish Dish To Start With
3/7/2015 2:59:08 AM

Hello Friends,

The rich flavor of the bourbon in this recipe brings out both the saltiness of the soy sauce and the sweetness of the brown sugar. For those of us following a heart-healthy diet, the omega-3 fatty acids and low sodium in this dish make it a healthy no-brainer.

Bourbon-Glazed Salmon

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons bourbon
  • 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 (6-ounce) skinless salmon fillets
  • Cooking spray
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
  • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
  • Preparation

Combine first 7 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add fish to bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 1 1/2 hours, turning occasionally.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add fish and marinade to pan; cook fish 4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Place 1 fillet on each of 4 plates; drizzle each serving with about 2 teaspoons sauce. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon green onions and 3/4 teaspoon sesame seeds. Serves 4.

Have A Great Weekend My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
    +2
    Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 25 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    3/7/2015 4:41:28 PM
    Hi Phil,
    This is a little different, it sounds good. I keep saving these recipes, one day I am going to make them. lol

India Style Black-Eyed Peas With Onion-Coconut Sauce

This recipe came from Bina Toniyat of Bangalore, India. Onions - one batch stewed with black-eyed peas, the other pureed with fresh coconut - sweeten the curry, made extra-creamy by the slow breakdown of the black-eyed peas. Don't worry about the number of chilis - the coconut and peas tend to absorb some of the peppers' heat.

Ingredients

1 cup black-eyed peas, dried
    2 small red onions (1 cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced, 1 coarsely chopped)
    4 fresh green Thai, cayenne or serrano chilis, with stems removed but seeds remaining (2 cut in half lengthwise, 2 coarsely chopped)
    1/2 cup shredded fresh coconut (or 1/4 cup shredded, dried unsweetened coconut, covered with 1/4 cup boiling water, set aside for about 15 minutes, and then drained)
    1 1/2 teaspoons fine kosher or sea salt
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
    2 tablespoons coconut oil or vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon black or yellow mustard seeds
    12 medium or large fresh curry leaves

(As always, choose organic content and fresh content as much as possible for the healthiest recipe. Also, wash all fruits and vegetables before cutting or adding to the recipe.)

Got this one off of Luella May site: http://www.tbyil.com/Black-Eyed_Peas_Onion_Coconut.htm

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
    +1
    Phillip Black

5931 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    3/8/2015 1:13:50 AM
    Hi Myrna,

Thanks for stopping by and for sharing this delicious sounding recipe. I love Black-eyed Peas and I love hot chilies, the hotter the better. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Have A Happy Week My Friend,

Phil
    “There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
    +1
    Phillip Black

5931 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    3/11/2015 9:41:25 PM

Hello Friends,

I love Clam Chowder, either New England style or Manhattan style. Here's a little low sodium version for your Crock Pot at home.

Low Sodium New England Clam Chowder

Ingredients

2 CUPS SKIM MILK
      2 CUPS 1% MILK
      2 TBSP BUTTER
      3 MED. POTATOS
      1 MED. YELLOW ONION
      1 BAG OF FROZEN SWEET CORN
      16 OZ OF FRESH CLAMS IN JUICE
      2 CELERY STALKS

Directions

In a crockpot, put skim milk, 1% milk, butter, and fresh clams and juice.

Dice up the potatos, onion and celery. Add to the crock pot

Let cook 2-3 hours on high; 4-6 hours on low. Onions should be soft and potato should be tender.

Makes 10 - 1 Cup Servings. Only 112 mg. Sodium in each.
    Have A Wonderful Week My Friends,
    Phil
    +1
    Phillip Black

5931 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    3/16/2015 1:55:35 PM

Hello Friends,

I've started visiting Cracker Barrel once again on a regular basis, especially since I discovered their Wholesome Fixin's Menu. For example, Saturday evening I had the Pecan Crusted Catfish. It was delicious and it didn't blow my diet. They even have made the recipe available online, so that we can make it at home.

Pecan Crusted Catfish

Brushed with orange marmalade, coated with a pecan crust, and grilled to a golden brown. Served with Mixed Seasonal Vegetables or fresh Steamed Broccoli, and a Brown Rice Pilaf, it's only 450 calories per serving.

Ingredients

Four 5oz. Boneless, Skinless, Catfish Fillets,

1 Tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil,

2 Tbs Creole Marmalade (Recipe Follows),

1/2 Cup Pecan Crumble (Recipe Follows)

Directions

Preheat Oven to 400 Degrees

Spray Cast Iron Skillet with Non-Stick Spray and heat with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. When sizzling hot, add Catfish and cook until golden on bottom side, about 2 minutes. Gently turn Fish with flat spatula and evenly brush each Fillet with 1/2 Tbs. of Creole Marmalade.

Lightly pat Fish with Pecan Crumble and place skillet in hot oven untl Crumble is golden brown.

Serve immediately. Serves four.

Creole Marmalade

8 ozs. Orange Marmalade

l Tbs. Creole Mustard

1/8 tsp. Creole Seasoning

Mix together all ingredients well, and store in Refrigerator.

Pecan Crumble

2 tsps. Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1/2 Cup Panko Seasoned Bread Crumbs

1/4 Cup Chopped Pecans

4 Cloves Garlic, Finely Chopped

2 Tbs. Fresh Parsley, Coarsely Chopped

1/4 tsp. Creole Seasoning

In a small cast iron pan, heat the Olive Oil. Add the Bread Crumbs and cook until golden brown, and the add the Pecans and Garlic, lightly sauteeing.

Add the Parsley and Seasoning and mix together well.

Store in an airtight container.

Have A Magnificent Monday,

Phil

+1

facebook
    Like us on Facebook!