Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: A Tasty Fish Dish To Start With
3/2/2015 7:12:36 AM
phil, so you and i both have congestive heart failure. i can tell you i was so shocked. i still haven't quite accepted my diagnosis yet. i have been healthy my whole life (except for the bad fall i had in 2010).

i have cut way back on sodium. we are using no salt veggies, herbs, mrs dash and some of the fake salts.

i love fish so i'll be checking this thread often. thanks phil for these delicious sounding recipes.

pat

Quote:

Hi Pat,

It's great to see you as well. Sorry to hear about your health problems. As you know, I had a bout with Congestive Heart Failure back in August of 2008. However, as I can attest, it does improve with the proper diet and lifestyle changes. When I saw my Cardiologist back in September of 2014, he gave me good news & bad news. He said I had the heart of a 19year old, however, it was still in the body of a 67 year old. It's a shame that I can't seem to deal with my emotional & mental difficulties that easily, but I'm working on it.

Anyway, I also have to watch my Sodium as well. There's a great source of low sodium recipes at the Mayo Clinic site, each with no more than 140 mg of sodium per serving. Sticking to the Fish theme, here's one of favorites...

Mediterranean-style Grilled Salmon

Instead of the usual breaded and fried fish, this fish is grilled, Mediterranean style. You may also substitute swordfish, halibut, sea bass or any other whitefish, and the calorie values are similar. Recipe serves 4 and each serving contain only 105 mg of sodium.

Ingredients

1. 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
  2. 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  3. 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  4. 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  5. 4 salmon fillets, each 5 ounces
  6. Cracked black pepper, to taste
  7. 4 green olives, chopped
  8. 4 thin slices lemon

Preparation

Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill or broiler. Away from the heat source, lightly coat the grill rack or broiler pan with cooking spray. Position the cooking rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat source. In a small bowl, combine the basil, parsley, minced garlic and lemon juice. Spray the fish with cooking spray. Sprinkle with black pepper. Top each fillet with equal amounts of the basil-garlic mixture. Place the fish herb-side down on the grill. Grill over high heat. When the edges turn white, after about 3 to 4 minutes, turn the fish over and place on aluminum foil. Move the fish to a cooler part of the grill or reduce the heat. Grill until the fish is opaque throughout when tested with the tip of a knife and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the fish reads 145 F (about 4 minutes longer). Remove the salmon and place on warmed plates. Garnish with green olives and lemon slices

Hope this helps Pat, and rest assured that you will be in my Prayers.

Have A Beautiful Weekend My Friend,

Phil

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/3/2015 10:57:19 PM

Hi Pat,

As I said, CHF is nothing to mess around with and it sounds like your case is worse than mine. I've pages and pages of causes, symptoms and cures on the Internet and I'm still not sure what causes it. I am pretty sure that mine was not due to an abndance of Sodium, since I haven't added any salt in over 30 years. I imagine that mine came from my alcoholism and overweight. I also know that Diabetes unfortunately goes hand in hand with CHF, for example, my CHF was in August of 2008 and I was diagnosed wit Diabetes in May of 2009.

Anyway, there are many alternatives to using Salt and my favorite is Mrs. Dash. They have so many different seasoning blends, table blends, and marinades. Here's a recipe that uses one of my favorite blends.

Baked Tilapia With Garlic and Oil

Ingredients:

3 Tbsp. olive oil
4 6 oz. tilapia fillets
4 Tbsp. Mrs. Dash® Garlic & Herb Seasoning Blend
1/2 cup Spanish onion
8 oz. frozen spinach
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 375°F. Rub tilapia fillets with 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil. Toss remaining olive oil with spinach and onion in separate bowl. Sprinkle Mrs. Dash® Garlic & Herb Seasoning Blend evenly on each fillet. Lay spinach and onion mixture in 4 lines on a baking sheet. Top each with a tilapia fillet. Bake 5-7 minutes depending on fillet thickness. Serves 2.
Have A Great Week My Friend,
Phil
“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/3/2015 11:42:23 PM
Another good dessert

Raw Pineapple Coconut 'Cheesecake'

Here is a recipe for raw food fans with a huge "Yumm!" factor. What goes better with coconut than pineapple? Plus, the addition of fresh pineapple lightens up the coconut in a beautiful way. This delicious raw "cheesecake" is really more of a soufflé cake, due to the texture. Note that it works best using fresh coconuts and pineapple, though you can also used packaged and canned if you have to.

Ingredients:

Crust:

4 dates, soaked until very soft
1 cup dried organic, unsweetened coconut

Filling:

2 1/2 cups fresh young Thai or other coconut flesh (about 5 young coconuts) - may use packaged if necessary
1/4 cup coconut water (from the coconuts if you use fresh coconuts)
1/3 cup raw organic honey or liquid coconut sweetener
1 cup coconut oil, softened
2 cups fresh pineapple chunks, separated (or used canned if you cannot obtain fresh pineapple)

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/4/2015 4:24:05 AM

Hi Myrna,

This sounds like it would be delicious. I'll probably try it this weekend.

Since we're on a Coconut theme here's one that you all might like...

Crispy Baked Coconut Crusted Tilapia

Ingredients

2 Tilapia Fillets, (about 1/2 lb or 4 oz each)
1/4 cup Coconut flakes, (I used unsweetened)
1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs (or breadcrumbs of choice)
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Garlic powder
1/8 tsp Pepper
1 tbs Coconut flour (or oat flour, or flour of choice) 1
1 Egg white
Optional: 1 pkt stevia added to the breadcrumb mixture for a slightly sweet/salty taste

Preparation

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Line a baking pan with foil, and set a wire rack on top. Spray the rack with non-stick spray. (Note: A wire rack allows for both sides of the fish to get crispy without the need to flip the fish mid-way through cooking. If you don’t have a wire cooling rack, simply place the fish on a baking sheet and gently flip halfway through cooking.)

In a small bowl, combine the coconut coconut flour, panko bread crumbs, and the seasoning. In a separate small bowl, add the egg whites and lightly beat with a fork.

Start by dipping each tilapia filet in the egg whites, followed by the coconut/breadcrumb mixture. Cover each piece of fish completely in the coconut/breadcrumb mixture and press lightly, so the coating adheres. Once coated, gently place each piece of fish on the wire rack. Spray each piece of fish lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
Bake fish for 18-22 minutes, or until coconut crust is lightly golden brown and the fish fully cooked, (it will be white and flakey in the center). Serves two. Enjoy!
Have A Peaceful Evening,
Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/5/2015 5:25:39 PM

Hello Friends,

Here's another low sodium, and low fat Fish Dish that I really like. While any white fish will work, I personally prefer Cod for this recipe.

Baked Cod, Low Sodium, Low Fat

2 tbsp. instant minced onion
2 tbsp. water
1/2 tsp. basil leaves, crushed
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 lb. cod fillets
1 tsp. parsley flakes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine minced onion and water, let stand for 10 minutes to soften. Stir in basil, paprika, garlic powder, oil and lemon juice. Place fish fillets in oiled 10 x 6 x 2 inch baking dish. Pour herb mixture over top. Bake until fish flakes easily, about 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve. Serves 4 with only 83 mg. sodium per portion.
Have A Great Day My Friends,
Phil
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!