Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: Credit Card Companies Increasing Minimum Payments
1/23/2006 12:34:29 AM
Kate, I agree that for most people credit cards are an evil trap. Tim mentioned how easy it is to get credit, and I agree with both of you. Credit is just as addictive as alcohol or cigarettes, and there's much less education to counteract the dangers. I also agree that people need to curb their spending habits, though consumerism is what drives our economy and I would hate to see a recession. I'm more in favor of Tim's idea of making more money. For sure the kids need to learn what their desire for the latest greatest thing costs in the long run. I raised four, and there were times when it was on one blue-collar income. I thought it was more important to be at home with my kids than to dress them in designer shoes and jeans. As each of them attained the age of 12 or so, they were given a 'clothing allowance'. I told them what they could spend, and they chose what to spend it on. When the oldest insisted on a pair of jeans that took several months' worth of his clothing allowance, I let him buy them....and then let him feel the consequences of having to wash them almost daily because they were his only clothes. I made him do it. And I only let him do it when there was a full load they could go into. He never was picky about it again. It was worth the hassle! Cheri
+0
Kathy Kanouse

3270 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/23/2006 12:40:59 PM
Hi Cheri Thanks for the information However I have to agree with Tim . This has been an ungoing problem in America for a long time. Everyone thinks oh it's no big deal when all reality you are going in over your head & then some. Think twice before you use that plastic it's not worth it :) God Bless
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
1/23/2006 12:57:44 PM
Kathy, Thanks for posting. I think we all agree with Tim. The point is, though, that for those who have already spent so much they're having trouble making minimum payments, this is a disaster. Especially since there's no longer bankruptcy relief (in the US) for consumer debt. Not that it was ever the best option, but as a last resort it was there. People are going to lose their homes over this, and many aren't even aware it's coming. So they are still planning their spending according to how much they can handle in payments, not how much they can actually afford. Maybe I'm preaching to the choir, or maybe the people in Adland who need to see this aren't posting or aren't seeing it. I just hope that my posting it helps someone who wouldn't have known otherwise. Nevertheless, I do appreciate all the support from you folks who agree with me that credit card debt is something to avoid like the plague, and get rid of as fast as possible if you already have it. Thanks again, Kathy. Cheri
+0
Kathy Kanouse

3270 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/23/2006 1:06:55 PM
I agree with you I hope people can see it before it's too late. I would hate to see someone loose there home over it. Your right if you can save just 1 thats a big accomplishment. I wish you the best :)
+0
2/5/2006 9:25:57 PM
Hi Cheri, There are many bad things that can happen when you over extend the use of a credit card. But I don't blame the credit card companies for providing an easy credit option. However, I do have a problem when they charge excessive amount of interest. In fact, I hate it enough that I make it a goal to never charge something if I don't already have the cash in my bank account to cover the statement when it's due. That way, I always have the use of the banks money but then they get a fee from the merchant when I use my credit card. Credit card are convenient but they are not met to be used by people who are not in a financially sound position in my opinion. Jack
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!