Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: Credit Card Companies Increasing Minimum Payments
2/8/2006 12:03:09 AM
Jack, Thanks for dropping by. I completely agree with your post and your strategy...I do the same. If you'll indulge me for a moment, may I ask you how you keep track of your expenditures so that the money is still in your bank account when the bill gets there? I think many people are caught short because they don't have a way to do that. They don't mean to overextend themselves, but payday's not until next Friday, or they forgot they also bought...whatever. Then the statement comes and oops! Can't pay it off this month. That's how it starts. Before you know it, you're in a no-win situation (not you, specifically, Jack...speaking generically). I DO have the answer. I posted it earlier in this thread. Anyone who is interested in learning more may ask me about it privately. Cheri
+0
2/8/2006 11:44:46 AM
Hi Cheri, My pleasure to answer your question. If you'll indulge me for a moment, may I ask you how you keep track of your expenditures so that the money is still in your bank account when the bill gets there? I use a money mangement program, in my case it's Quicken. Many years ago, I would do all my record keeping manually and eventually adopted a software that was integrated with my financial institution. In addition to recording my bank account(s) transactions I maintain a set of liability accounts, one for each credit card and record the expenditure as soon as I get back home. I then place the slip in it's appropriate file folder. This simple excercise shows me my total credit card liability versus my available cash to cover my expenditure. I also setup savings goal accounts to allocate funds that will be required in the future. For example, I will budget say $5000.00 for holiday spending and during the year I will allocate (kinda like a virtual transfer) incoming funds to my saving goal accounts. The whole purpose is to have my money management program as the realtime tracker. This should give you an idea of how I manage my cash flow so I won't go on with additional details unless your interested. Please understand the process that I use has evolved with time and I believe it is generally necessary for people to adopt some manual task and evolve to more advance techniques. For example, once I became very comfortable with my knowledge of all my cash flow I was able to implement some techniques to eliminate most recording activities required by me. Cheri this has been a pleasure to share with you and your readers, thank you for including me in your extremely valuable forums. Jack
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
2/10/2006 6:01:41 PM
Jack, Please forgive me for not acknowledging your post for a couple of days. Sometimes all the irons I have in the fire have to be snatched out at once, and even important things sometimes fall through the cracks. I appreciate your interesting and detailed post, more than you could know. It very well illustrates a point that I'd like to make here. I'd be willing to bet that some readers looked at your process and thought to themselves that it's a lot of work. More than they would ever do, even. Probably in the beginning, until you had established the good habits of keeping it up to date, it did seem like a chore. I followed a similar manual procedure for over 20 years, first entirely by hand and then in electronic spreadsheets when I learned to use a computer in 1983. Even when I began to use MS Money (which my bank provided free) to download checking account transactions, I had to continue my manual spreadsheet method because Money wouldn't show me what I had left in a budget category. Only what I had already spent. I estimate that I averaged nearly 6 hours a week managing that system. Between finding and correcting errors, shifting money from one column to another, adjusting here and there to reflect changing income (in both directions), it was a real chore; one that I wouldn't have done if I didn't actually enjoy the analytical process and have a detail-oriented bent. Over the years, many people asked me the question I asked you, in various ways. Because of the system, I always managed to pay the bills on time and it gave the impression that we were better off financially than we actually were. But the minute I started describing that system each and every one of them said, 'thanks but no thanks'. It was simply too complicated for most people to bother with. That's why I was so excited to find the program I now use and promote. All automated, no manual input, tracks credit card as well as bank transactions AND shows me my planned spending and what I have left. Even if that were all it did, I would love it, but it's only a piece of the whole package! All the time I was doing my manual process, I wasn't clever enough to implement a tracking system like yours for my credit card expenditures. Blind spot, I guess. So more often than I would have liked, it turned out that I had spent more than I realized (easy to do with four kids). Then a balance got left on the card, and to quote the old maps, 'Here lie dragons.' My new program allows me to allocate those transactions to the appropriate budget line in an easy graphical interface. The amount is immediately debited and transferred to the "Debt/Payments To" budget line. As the credit card balance goes up, so does the 'pay it back' balance, dollar for dollar and the money is there when the statement comes. Meanwhile, the budget categories I'm tapping show me when to quit spending until cash flows in. No more balances on the credit card, ever! No more interest payments, and thank goodness! Credit card companies get testy when you don't pay them any interest and raise your rate in the hope of catching you, but I get to use their money while keeping mine in an interest-bearing checking account, get a rebate for my purchases and not care what my interest rate is. Sweet deal! Well, I won't advertise further because that's not what this forum is about, but when you give me an opening like that, I grab my soapbox and run through it, lol. Thanks for a fascinating and succinct description of how a money-savvy individual like yourself manages it. Cheri
+0
2/10/2006 8:43:10 PM
Great topics and posts by you both, Cheri and Jack. I have one question. What's that new program you're using Cheri? lol
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
2/10/2006 11:58:20 PM
Tim, Is that you? What's up with your profile? Thanks for asking about my program--it isn't really new, except in relation to the manual process I used for 23 years. It's called the Ascend Financial Manager. Read all about it in the Ascend Technologies International threads in My Offers. Yes, it's an income oppportunity, but we also have a great customer program for people who don't care anything about the income. Now I'll give you equal opportunity--please tell us about your new identity! Cheri
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!