Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: FRANCISCO DE GOYA: Spanish painter, draftsman & printmaker
10/28/2013 3:26:02 AM

It has been with great interest that I have read your post below, Roger. There is a lot to assimilate in it and also to read and digest in the site you mention, so please wait until tomorrow for a reply.

Miguel

Quote:

Miguel and friends,

My observation is that observation was the most significant of all of Goya's skills. Observation is such an important part of an artists skills because composition can flow following good observation but is unlikely to be successful if it is the precursor.

Goya's pallette interests me. Not only am I unaware of the best colours available to artists at his time in history but also I do not know what Goya intended to produce and why. This is another thing that makes visual arts so fascinating.

I realise that reproduction often changes the original colours and that strong red or blue bias is the strongest likey area of change, however, I had noticed a big lack of green in Goya's work. I researched a little and found this on a site.

Francisco de Goya’s palette (about 1820): White Lead (Flake White), Naples Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Raw Umber, Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, Venetian Red, Brown Ochre, Light Red, Vermilion, Crimson Lake, Green Earth (Terre Verte), Cobalt Blue, Ivory Black.

The rest of the informaton is copyright so I suggest a look at the site I referred to.

COLOR ACADEMY LINK

This site is worth exploring because it explains about the other historical pallettes used in the great art movements. I found this very interesting

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/29/2013 2:25:08 AM

Well Roger, I have been reading the site you referred me to and yes, what I have found there is pretty interesting. Yet most important is the fact that it corresponds to Goya's work toward the 1820s, a period of time in which he - now 70 years old and in a state of physical and mental despair - was living secluded in the Quinta del sordo ("House of the Deaf Man"), a big house he had just purchased and in whose walls he would create his famous series of 14 "black paintings."

Something mentioned in the site that immediately grabbed my attention was the fact that in painting flesh, Goya reportedly used Green Earth mixed with Light Red and White Lead in different proportions, but predominantly green. This itself is most curious because in effect, as you have mentioned in your post, you will hardly see any green or greenish hue in his paintings - at least of this period.

Elsewhere I have mentioned the fact that both in conception and color, the difference between Goya's early paintings and those of his latest period is abysmal. To illustrate this, I am giving below one only example of Goya's generous use of green in the works of the earliest, happy years of his career: his famous Blind Guitarist of 1778. To compare it with that in his latest, somber paintings we will have to wait for my next posts.

Francisco de Goya - Blind Guitarist
(oil on canvas, 1778)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/30/2013 2:26:30 AM
Roger and friends,

We have seen how Goya's life was saved by his friend doctor Arrieta, an act of love and warmth for which he was so thankful that the scene that he portraits of them both is considered to be totally uncharacteristic of his mature paintings. In effect, the horrors of the war in Spain had apparently left him so sick and depressed that most of his drawings and prints of this period only depict them, and from now on he will only portray the evil, the ugly, the cruel.

Here is 'Tio Paquete' (the only work not painted in the
Deaf Man House).

Francisco de Goya - Tio Paquete (oil on canvas, c.1820)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/30/2013 2:37:29 AM

This is Goya's famous Leocadia, one of the fourteen works painted on the walls of the Quinta del Sordo (the 'Deaf Man House'). We will see a few more of them in the next posts.

Francisco de Goya - Manola (La Leocadia)
(oil on plaster remounted on canvas, 1820-23)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/1/2013 2:30:56 AM

Nowhere will we find an artist who has gone through a greater mutation than Goya in his old age. Yet this change, from the most immaculate exquisiteness to an horrid representation of the macabre, had a specific cause: the horrors of war, which affected his life and and his vision of reality.

These two famous paintings used to face each other from opposite walls in a room of the Quinta del Sordo.

Francisco de Goya - Asmodea ('Fantastic Vision')
(oil on plaster transferred to canvas)

Francisco de Goya - Atropos, or The Fates
(oil on plaster transferred to canvas)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!