Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: FRANCISCO DE GOYA: Spanish painter, draftsman & printmaker
10/25/2013 2:57:36 AM

It is true that back in 1814, after completing his portraits of Fernando VII, Goya had painted two of his most famous masterpieces ever: The Second of May 1808 - The Charge of the Mamelukes, shown below, and The Third May 1808 - The Execution of the Defenders of Madrid, which can be viewed in pages 1 and 13 of this thread; plus he had also painted his magnificent General José de Palafox, an equestrian, Velazquez-like portrait which will be shown in the next post.

Francisco de Goya - The Second of May 1808 - The Charge of the Mamelukes
(oil on canvas, 1814)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/25/2013 3:29:41 AM

And here is Goya's General José de Palafox, without a doubt, one of the most impressive equestrian portraits ever painted.

Francisco de Goya - General José de Palafox
(oil on canvas, 1814)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/27/2013 2:26:33 AM

Goya would produce only a few paintings in the remaining years until his death in 1828 - most of them in 1819-20. With the one presented below, 'The Forge', he seemed to return to his lively portraits of humble people working in the streets. However, it would be his last in this category.

Francisco de Goya - The Forge
(oil on canvas, c.1819)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/27/2013 2:53:23 AM

In the same year of 1819, Goya produces a hiperrealistic but no less magnificent counterpart to 'The Forge': his portrait of Juan Antonio Cuervo, with which he shows that not a bit of his artistic ability has been lost.

Francisco de Goya - Portrait of Juan Antonio Cuervo
(oil on canvas, 1819)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/27/2013 10:01:00 AM

Miguel and friends,

My observation is that observation was the most significant of all of Goya's skills. Observation is such an important part of an artists skills because composition can flow following good observation but is unlikely to be successful if it is the precursor.

Goya's pallette interests me. Not only am I unaware of the best colours available to artists at his time in history but also I do not know what Goya intended to produce and why. This is another thing that makes visual arts so fascinating.

I realise that reproduction often changes the original colours and that strong red or blue bias is the strongest likey area of change, however, I had noticed a big lack of green in Goya's work. I researched a little and found this on a site.

Francisco de Goya’s palette (about 1820): White Lead (Flake White), Naples Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Raw Umber, Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, Venetian Red, Brown Ochre, Light Red, Vermilion, Crimson Lake, Green Earth (Terre Verte), Cobalt Blue, Ivory Black.

The rest of the informaton is copyright so I suggest a look at the site I referred to.

COLOR ACADEMY LINK

This site is worth exploring because it explains about the other historical pallettes used in the great art movements. I found this very interesting

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!