Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: FRANCISCO DE GOYA: Spanish painter, draftsman & printmaker
11/3/2013 1:46:04 AM

Yet another disturbing painting by Goya in the room at the 'Quinta del Sordo'.

Francisco de Goya - Two Women and a Man
(Oil on plaster mounted on canvas, 1820-21)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/3/2013 1:51:59 AM

Finally, Saturn Devouring One of his Children - surely the best known of Goya's paintings in the 'Quinta del Sordo'.
Since its inception, hundreds, probably thousands of commentaries have been written about it.

Francisco de Goya - Saturn Devouring One of his Children
(Plaster mounted on canvas, 1819-23)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/3/2013 10:06:49 AM

Miguel,

I will resist looking into other people's opinions about these paintings.

There are all sorts of explanations I am sure.

We forget that images like these are now taken for granted in horror films and comics.

Computer games are more and more violent and in increasing numbers people cannot resist looking at real terrorist beheadings etc.

I don't understand but then folk gathered around the guillotines in Paris etc. It seems that within all of us is a suppressed monster.

These are horrible images and as well as the subjects being uncomfortable the faces in the paintings are particularly ugly and fairly unreal.

It seemed a popular thing at the time in history when these were painted. The images in Charles Dickens's book illustrations were often ugly and Lewis Carrol's books were similarily treated.

Lewis Carroll illustration by John Tenniel

Dickens often used Boz

and Hogarth of course was another who was an expert in these ugly images

Hogarth would make another interesting Forum.

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/4/2013 10:35:30 AM

Roger,

I am afraid you are mostly right in all you say. I will even go beyond and say we all feel a certain fascination for those horrid scenes. It may have to be with mere curiosity but twisted in the direction of that which is forbidden - like the one felt by kids simply because it is forbidden.

With Goya, however, there was a motivation to denounce the war horrors that he had witnessed in his own land - even if that denounce was only made in the seclusion of his home. It certainly is shocking to see the change his painting went through after he saw those scenes personally. It is like his mind had suddenly gone sick because of it and he never was the same again.

And there are his drawings too that I still have not shown. Until now I have opted to avoid them, many of them are dreadful - some of them unbearably so - even if they are highly artistic at the same time. Not that I want to show them all, for one thing, that would be going beyond the scope of this forum. But since they are a most important part of his work, I feel I must at least post a selection of them. I only need a couple of days in order to brace myself and do it.

Miguel

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/4/2013 7:06:16 PM

Very good points Miguel.

What images do you think are in the minds of Syrian children. They will stay with them for ever as they probably did with Goya.

I look forward with trepidation and interest to the drawings.

Stanley Spencer felt the need to show what he saw in W.W.I in his naive style.

You will enjoy the video of Sandham Chapel which is about 25 miles from my house.

Roger

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!