Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: FRANCISCO DE GOYA: Spanish painter, draftsman & printmaker
10/23/2013 2:21:43 AM

In that very same year of 1814, Goya painted two other great portraits of Fernando VII. They are probably not as good as the one he made of the king in his robe of state, but are all the same magnificent. Note that true to his style and character, Goya did not use any of his artistic ability to favor the king in the least in his physical appearance, as some other painters would surely have done.

Francisco de Goya - Fernando VII in an Encampament
(oil on canvas, 1814)

Francisco de Goya - Fernando VII
(oil on canvas, 1814)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/23/2013 2:43:28 AM

Six years later, in 1820, Goya was portraying himself accompanied by his doctor in the attitude you see below. Such a decay! What had happened in the meantime? God only knows for sure, but we can safely assume that disappointment and longing for his beloved Spain, even more than the number of years elapsed, had had to do with it.

Francisco de Goya - Self Portrait with Doctor Arrieta
(oil on canvas, 1820)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/23/2013 8:31:36 PM

Wow,

That's a shocking image.

Roger

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/24/2013 12:49:01 AM

Indeed so impressive, Roger. And there is this dedication at the bottom of the painting which I failed to translate: "Goya in gratitude to his friend Arrieta for the skill and care with which his life was saved in the acute and dangerous ailment suffered in late 1819, at his seventy three years of age. He painted it at 80."

Miguel

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/24/2013 9:03:29 AM

After painting Fernando VII's portraits, Goya went "out of favor and fashion" with only a couple of important ecclesiastical commissions, the last of which -
The Last Communion of St Joseph of Calasanz, shown below - was in 1819 for the church of the Escuelas Pías de San Antón in Madrid. Other than this, he mainly continued to record his observations and ideas in drawings.

Francisco de Goya -
The Last Communion of St Joseph of Calasanz
(oil on canvas, 1819)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!