Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: FRANCISCO DE GOYA: Spanish painter, draftsman & printmaker
10/19/2013 1:05:37 AM

Thank you Roger for your comments.

Unlike most of the artists that we have been featuring recently, Goya actually did not have that many paintings, which he somehow compensated with abundant drawings of a rather folkloric nature; at least for the purposes of this forum, however, it is his paintings that mainly count, which has made me mostly focus on them with only an occasional look at his drawings.

But addressing your comment more specifically: It was precisely the fact that I was not finding at the specialized sites as many paintings as I would have liked that in the last few days has made me search for them more carefully, which in the end has produced almost twenty more works of great merit. I hope that once they are added to those already presented, that it will make this thread a truly representative one of the great artist that Goya was.

Thanks again,

Miguel

Quote:

Miguel,

You have found so many pictures that I have never seen.

To put together a group picture is so much more difficult than most people imagine.

These look very real.

Roger

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/19/2013 1:18:32 AM
I too recognize the amount of effort you put into this presentation, Luis and I really appreciate what you are doing.
It is such an extreme contrast -and an oh WOW feeling to think that Goya was "employed" by the wealthy elite when the people he was passionate about in his drawings (In my humble opinion) would not have even seen them.
Paint and supplies cost money-and here you present a collection of the work free for all to enjoy!
I imagine if he can find you out in cyberspace he is tickled to death-(pun? intended)
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/19/2013 2:45:47 AM

Welcome back, Joyce. I am so glad that you are addressing such an interesting subject. You are not issuing any humble opinion, on the contrary, it is a perfectly valid observation (but how come I did not think of it myself? Hmmmm...)

Seriously now, it seems Goya did not consider it too bad to be employed by the wealthy elite. I admit a feeling of disappointment may have crossed my mind when I learned about it but only briefly, as I immediately remembered how during the Italian Reinnassance great painters and sculptors like Michelangelo, Rafael and Leonardo had to be maintained by the Medici to go along while painting, and how as late as in the eighteenth century Haydn was employed by the wealthy Esterhazys but had to eat in the kitchen with the servants. And finally, how the 'divine' Mozart ended his life in a pauper's grave for refusing to accept such a subordinate role during it...

So it was not that bad for Goya and if I am not mistaken, he had certain prerogatives in the field of love with a great lady of a noble house...; and with the money that he charged for his paintings, he was able to not only make drawings but also several paintings of great quality where his sitters, simple street workers, may have at least be allowed to view them... (By the way, I have recently posted a couple of them at this thread).

Thanking you for your fascinating remarks,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/20/2013 1:26:48 AM
Earlier works

The Holy
and
Sacred (I)

Francisco de Goya - The Sacrifice to Priapus
(oil on canvas, 1771)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/20/2013 1:30:17 AM

The Holy
and
Sacred (II)

Francisco de Goya - The Annunciation
(oil on canvas, 1785)

Francisco de Goya - Pieta
(unknown medium, 1774)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!