Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
A Healthy Breakfast Alternative
8/1/2013 5:58:41 PM

Hello Everyone,

This Cheesy Spinach and Mushroom Quiche recipe is so easy, and the end result is a beautiful, ridiculously delicious, mouthwatering treat. Though quiche is typically considered a breakfast food, it would make a wonderful dinner or lunch as well. By using egg whites instead of whole eggs, and a light butter, milk and cheese, we can dramatically cut down the fat, calories, and cholesterol. Though I chose spinach and mushrooms to use, you can really use any kind of vegetable you want. Also, I used a premade whole wheat pie shell for this, which I bought at Whole Foods, and it is excellent.

So start your morning off right with this amazingly delicious and healthy breakfast quiche. It's full of fiber and protein, so it’s filling and very tasty.

Cheesy Spinach & Mushroom Quiche

• 1 whole wheat pie crust
  • 1 cup reduced fat extra sharp cheddar, shredded
  • 1 cup liquid egg whites
  • 1/2 cup fat free milk
  • 3 cups fresh spinach
  • 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/4 cup green onions, diced
  • 1 tbsp light butter, melted
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350.

1. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the egg whites, milk, butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
  2. Spray a small skillet with non-fat cooking spray and set over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, add in the spinach and cook just until wilted, about 1 minute.
  3. Place ½ cup cheese on bottom of pie shell. Top with spinach and other vegetables. Now top with remaining cheese. Pour egg white mixture over top of everything.
  4. Place in oven and bake for about 45 minutes, or until egg is cooked through and is no longer runny.
  5. Let set for about 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 8 servings.

Per Serving: 181 calories; 11g fat; 11g carbohydrates; 9.5g protein; 2g fiber

Have A Happy Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+1
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: A Healthy Breakfast Alternative
8/4/2013 2:18:40 PM

Hello Friends,

Since I've started limiting myself to no more than 3 Egg Yolks per week, my Breakfast menus have become much more creative. Although I usually use bulk Egg Whites, for this Recipe I had to use Egg Beaters.

Alfredo Scrambled Egg Bake

1 cup Original Bisquick® mix (homemade)
1/4 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
6 tablespoons firm butter or margarine (4 Tbsp., divided)
1 egg
1/4 cup chopped onion*
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper*
1 jar (4.5 ounces) Green Giant® sliced mushrooms, drained*
12 eggs, beaten (8 egg beaters)
1/3 cup crumbled precooked bacon (omitted)
3/4 cup Alfredo pasta sauce (Lite Alfredo)

*I used a package of frozen Morningstar Egg Scramblers--potato, vegetable, veg. sausage mixture, instead of the fresh vegetables and bacon.

BODYOFRECIPE1. Heat oven to 400°F. Spray square baking dish, 8x8x2 inches, with cooking spray. Mix Bisquick mix, Italian seasoning and 4 tablespoons of the butter in small bowl with fork or pastry blender until crumbly. Gently stir in 1 egg; set aside.
2. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, bell pepper and mushrooms in butter 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
3. Add beaten eggs to vegetable mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, until eggs are set; remove from heat. Gently stir in bacon and Alfredo sauce. Spread in baking dish. Sprinkle Bisquick mixture over eggs.
4. Bake uncovered about 15 minutes until topping is golden brown. Makes:6 servings

Have A Blessed Sunday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/6/2013 8:27:02 PM

Hello Everyone,

Here's another Breakfast idea that I thought you might like. Once again, I use Egg Whites so there's no Cholesterol and only 142 Calories per serving, along with 14 g. of Protein.

Egg White Scramble

3 egg whites

1/4 cup chopped tomato

1/4 cup diced onion

1/4 cup diced pepper

1/4 cup sliced jalapeno (optional)

salt & black pepper ( to taste)

1. In a non-stick pan, briefly saute onion, tomato and peppers. They should give off enough liquids on their own to prevent sticking with no oil.
  2. As the onions start to soften,add the egg whites, and scramble with the vegetables.
  3. Season and plate. Serves 1.

If on the other hand, you're tired of the usual Eggs at Breakfast, you might also enjoy some Natural Oatmeal, Granola, or Pancakes and add a little variety to your morning menu. Whatever you decide, start your day with a Prayer and a Smile and have a Blessed morning.

Have A Happy Week,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/7/2013 3:07:29 PM

Hello My Friends,

Here's another way to get your mornings off to a great start. I lightened up this tasty dish by using olive oil, one regular egg and three egg whites. For a change of pace, I often like to mix diced celery and parsley with the different cheeses.

Mushroom Spinach Omelet Recipe

• 1 egg
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 cup sliced Shiitaki mushrooms
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 cup torn fresh spinach

Directions

• In a small bowl, beat the egg and egg whites. Add cheeses, salt, pepper flakes, garlic powder and pepper; mix well. Set aside.
  • In an 8-in. nonstick skillet, saute the mushrooms, green pepper and onion in oil for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add spinach; cook and stir until spinach is wilted. Add egg mixture. As eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. Cut into wedges. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.

1 serving: 110 calories, 6 g fat, 112 mg cholesterol, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 11 g protein.

Have A Wonderful Wednesday,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/11/2013 3:02:49 PM

Hello Friends,

Here's a great way to start the day. The Pancakes are fluffy and moist with some extra crunch.

Pumpkin Walnut Pancakes

• 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 6 NECTRESSE™ Natural O Calorie Sweetener Packets
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1 1/3 cups 1% milk
  • 1/4 cup melted Smart Balance margarine
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • BLEND all dry ingredients (flour through salt) in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
  • WHISK together egg yolks, milk, melted butter, vanilla and pumpkin.
  • COMBINE the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture. Do not over mix, some lumps are okay. Set aside.
  • WHIP egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold whites into pancake batter. Fold in walnuts.
  • SPRAY large skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
  • POUR 1/3 cup of batter per pancake onto hot griddle. Cook until bubbles appear on the top, then flip pancake and cook until golden brown on other side. Serve hot. Serves 7.
  • Serving Size: 2 pancakes - Calories 250, Total Fat 13g, Saturated Fat 6g, Cholesterol 125mg, Carbohydrate 26g, Fiber 2g, Sugars 5g, Protein 8g.

Have A Super Sunday,

Phil

+0

facebook
    Like us on Facebook!