Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - WILLIAM TURNER
6/15/2013 2:59:17 AM

A MAGNIFICENT COMPOSITION - II

If you liked Turner's wonderful land- and seascapes of the 1830s and the 1840s, I am sure it mainly was due to his wonderful use of light, which undoubtely was a long-standing one. Back to his early works, it may be appreciated in this precious watercolor of 1796 portraying another imposing church (a chapel, actually) with unparalleled dexterity.

William Turner - St. Erasmus in Bishop Islips Chapel, Westminster Abbey
(watercolor on paper, c.1796)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/16/2013 1:39:17 AM
From the beginning, the sea played a major role in William Turner's life and works: it inspired him so much. Here are a few of his early paintings representing it as the terrible force of nature it is. The one in the middle is one of Turner's most appreciated master works. But note the third - not that early one: what an extraordinary watercolor!

William Turner - Dutch Boats in a Gale (oil on canvas, 1801)

William Turner - The Shipwreck (oil on canvas, 1805)

William Turner - The Mew Stone at the Entrance of Plymouth Sound
(watercolor on paper, 1815)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/16/2013 2:02:38 AM
By contrast, this beautiful view of London in Turner times is so idyllic. An interesting reflexion is what may have been his mood when he painted it: Did he have to be in a peaceful mood to feel like doing it? Or did it work in the opposite direction, i.e. did painting it make him feel more peaceful than usual? Or both? And how was it when he was painting The Shipwreck?

William Turner - London (oil on canvas, 1811)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/17/2013 1:05:12 AM

Yet in dealing with sceneries that sharply contrast with his stormy seas, Turner did not only paint peaceful landscapes: he also left to posterity beautiful images of calm seas. The precious watercolor below, of uncertain date, exemplifies his love of sea and of Margate, a love he retained throughout his life.

Note: As a reference, I am including
in my next post a no-less precious engraving of this work by T. Lupton.

William Turner - Sunrise. Whiting Fishing at Margate (watercolor on paper, 1822)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/17/2013 1:14:51 AM

Here is the engraving by T. Lupton (published 1825).

After William Turner - Sunrise. Whiting Fishing at Margate
(mezzotint on paper, 1825)

+3

facebook
Like us on Facebook!