Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - WILLIAM TURNER
6/11/2013 7:12:43 AM

Miguel,

I really can't believe the accuracy of both paintings.

How Turner achieved this I don't know. I presume through original drawinggs done?

Wonderful examples of the use of light.

Roger

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/12/2013 3:10:44 AM
Quote:

Miguel,

How Turner achieved this I don't know. I presume through original drawinggs done?

Roger

However, Roger, I was left with the doubt if the two of them could not be the same painting but mistakenly shown by the site - in this case, the Art Renewal Center - as two different paintings. In fact, the Art Renewal Center website shows each image with other titles than those specified in my post: Venice, San Girguio (sic) from the Dogana: Sunrise, and San Giorgio Maggiore in the Morning; but I decided to post them with the titles by which they are more universally known by other sites. These other sites, for example The Atheneum, only show one of the paintings, either the clearer one or the darker one, but not the two of them. As to the differences between both paintings, they might be owed to increasingly ill-developed photographies that additionally were poorly reproduced and exhibited by the sites.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/12/2013 7:15:01 AM
Quote:
Quote:

Miguel,

Roger

However, Roger, I was left with the doubt if the two of them could not be the same painting but mistakenly shown by the site - in this case, the Art Renewal Center - as two different paintings. In fact, the Art Renewal Center website shows each image with other titles than those specified in my post: Venice, San Girguio (sic) from the Dogana: Sunrise, and San Giorgio Maggiore in the Morning; but I decided to post them with the ones by which they are more universally known by other sites. These other sites, for example The Atheneum, only show one of the paintings, either the clearer one or the darker one, but not the two of them. As to the differences between both paintings, they might be owed to increasingly ill-developed photographies that additionally were poorly reproduced and exhibited by the sites.

Yes Miguel,

There has to an explanation. Having looked very closely they could only be either the same painting or produced from a drawing that was in some way duplicated.

My personal feeling is that these are the same painting.

This all adds to the interest here anyway.

Roger

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/13/2013 2:13:37 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Miguel,

Roger

However, Roger, I was left with the doubt if the two of them could not be the same painting but mistakenly shown by the site - in this case, the Art Renewal Center - as two different paintings. In fact, the Art Renewal Center website shows each image with other titles than those specified in my post: Venice, San Girguio (sic) from the Dogana: Sunrise, and San Giorgio Maggiore in the Morning; but I decided to post them with the ones by which they are more universally known by other sites. These other sites, for example The Atheneum, only show one of the paintings, either the clearer one or the darker one, but not the two of them. As to the differences between both paintings, they might be owed to increasingly ill-developed photographies that additionally were poorly reproduced and exhibited by the sites.

Yes Miguel,

There has to an explanation. Having looked very closely they could only be either the same painting or produced from a drawing that was in some way duplicated.

My personal feeling is that these are the same painting.

This all adds to the interest here anyway.

Roger

There is still a possibility that he used a Pantograph, which would explain 1) why the drawings are identical to each other and 2) why they both actually seem to be two well defined and different works on their own right. Our talk apparently was still latent in my mind and this morning I thought of such possibility and it sounded perfectly logical to me, together with a vague memory that somewhere in the very remote past I may have heard or read that he used one - remember I told you I used to be a fan of Turner? Then it's perfectly possible that I have diggested such kind of info at some time in the past. And just a moment ago I thought of googling the question and lo! it says that as an engineer that he was, he used one (see for example here).

In other words, by thinking that they are one and the same painting I had created a storm in a glass of water.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/13/2013 3:02:58 AM

More early works: A gem of a masterpiece, painted in 1799.

William Turner - Warkworth Castle, Northumberland -
Thunder Storm Approaching at Sunset
(oil on canvas, 1799)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!