Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - WILLIAM TURNER
6/13/2013 3:40:38 AM

Another castle painted in 1799, this one a watercolor: Caernarvon Castle.

William Turner - Caernarvon Castle (watercolor on paper, 1799)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/13/2013 7:37:29 AM
Quote:

More early works: A gem of a masterpiece, painted in 1799.

William Turner - Warkworth Castle, Northumberland -
Thunder Storm Approaching at Sunset
(oil on canvas, 1799)

Wow,

That's a great painting and so early.

There is a quality that it is difficult to describe.

Just why are some paintings great? Composition, light, colour or just a spiritual connection?

Example: I love the painting by Macke Lady in a green dress. It's nothing like these images but there is something special.about it. It's square, unrealistic, bright and just blocks of colour but, oh boy, wonderful.

I bring this also to show that despite the style being VERY different, the use of light is used to the same great effect. It also shows how, a few years after this Turner the direction of art changed. I keep image small, not to detract from your forum subject.

Roger

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/14/2013 1:56:35 AM

You are right, Roger, Turner was a master in the use of light and it was this factor that mainly made the difference. In effect, he obviously realized that the impression a painting produces is all-important in making it an
accomplished work, and what better way toward such a mighty purpose than wisely using light which, appropriately interspersed with the shadowy areas, will sort of upgrade everything in it - including color, composition and, generally speaking, beauty, just as Mother Nature does in real life.

Of course, a good photograph of any of his works should let us appreciate this point of mine. Below I am posting two reproductions of Turner's beautiful painting of 1809,
Tummel Bridge, Perthshire, where the one on top, featured by Wikimedia Commons, apparently has been developed without enough light, which in spite of the beautiful composition sort of degrades it; and where the one at the bottom, a courtesy of www.william-turner.org, does make a difference (though in this case I hate the use of text in the image, which literally taints it).

William Turner - Tummel Bridge, Perthshire (oil on panel, 1802-03)

William Turner - Tummel Bridge, Perthshire (oil on panel, 1802-03)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/14/2013 2:24:22 AM

Yet another magnificent painting of a castle - again, a watercolor!

William Turner - Conway Castle (watercolor on paper, c.1799 - 1800)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/14/2013 2:59:28 AM
Taking a big leap ahead, I would like to show three wonderful master works of the 1830s and 1840s that while pretty unknown to the general public, would have made any impressionist proud - had they painted them, that is, and not William Turner.

William Turner - Rocky Bay with Figures (oil on canvas, c.1830)

William Turner - Wreckers: Coast of Northumberland (oil on canvas, c.1834)

William Turner - The Blue Rigi: Lake of Lucerne (watercolor on paper, 1842)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!