Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - WILLIAM TURNER
6/18/2013 2:16:09 AM

Dear friends, so far I have mostly
posted rather unknown works by Turner, my purpose being to show they are legion and as outstanding as his famous ones. But the latter also deserve to be exhibited and here are two that you will surely recognize immediately among Turner's relatively early masterpieces.

William Turner - Dido Building Carthage or The Rise of the Carthaginian Empire
(oil on canvas, 1815)

William Turner - The Decline of the Carthaginian Empire
(oil on canvas, 1817)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/18/2013 7:47:21 AM

Contrasts in time Miguel.

Turner's painting of turnip harvesting near Slough is amazing as Slough is one of the ugliest towns in South East England. Being close to London it is now changing from a distribution and manufacturing place to computer technology companies and was the basis for the English version of The Office, TV show, big in the states.

I bring this photo to show how, at the very time that Turner was painting there, London was sprawling outwards.

This is Slough today.

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/19/2013 1:48:32 AM

Thanks for the feedback, Roger; an interesting contribution indeed. I must say, however, that the city in the photo, Slough, does not look ugly at all to me; at least, not by our country's standards. If only you saw Lima, our capital in Peru, where I live! Yes, we have a few districts that are orderly and you might say beautiful such as San Isidro, where the most affluent live, plus a few special places for the very rich; and then Miraflores, my own district, which is big and nice and cozy and sort of looks out to the see, which at times makes a wonderful sight... But most other districts are simply horrible with lots of people and cars and contamination of the worst sort. And the slums... very sad places, with such extremes of poverty that you would find hard to believe they exist. The title of a famous novel in the seventies, 'Lima la horrible', says it all.

So sorry, sometimes I need to conjure up my inner demons by speaking out about things like this.

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/19/2013 2:53:56 AM
Curiously enough, Turner seems to have skipped a good part of the 1820's by, in my opinion, not producing anything really important; and it is only in the 1830's that we again find works of great relevance - among them, some of his most famous masterpieces. Here are two extraordinary paintings that are pretty impressionist in their character and features.

William Turner - Fort Vimieux (oil on canvas, 1831)

William Turner - Keelmen heaving in coal by night (oil on canvas, 1835)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/19/2013 3:49:04 AM

This time it is these two exquisitely idyllic paintings that provide the required contrast versus the agitation and movement of the works exhibited in my previous post.

William Turner - The Bright Stone of Honor (Ehrenbrietstain)
and the Tomb of Marceau, from Byron's "Childe Harold"
(oil on canvas, 1835)

William Turner - Rome from Mount Aventino
(oil on canvas, 1836)

+1