Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - WILLIAM TURNER
6/10/2013 2:38:23 AM
Quote:

A MAGNIFICENT COMPOSITION

Turner probably was only 25 - 28 years old when he painted this extraordinary view of the Salisbury Cathedral interior. Apart from the precision of the drawing and the superb composition, there is to especially note the exquisite use of light and the resulting glistening yellow-brown hues inundating the enclosure.

William Turner - Interior of Salisbury Cathedral
(watercolor on paper, circa 1802 - 1805)

Hi Miguel, if it took him 3 years to draw this, how much do you think this painting would be worth today?

Hi Myrna,

It is not that it took him 3 years to draw it but that the real date of completion is unknown. It seems Turner never dated his watercolors, so in this case the date is given only approximately. On the other hand, he is known to have frequently painted only rough sketches at first which he even would leave in the London Academy and would complete at will after two or three more visits, such was the great prestige and influence that he had acquired with the members of the Academy since he still was relatively young.

Thanks for visiting and posting,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/10/2013 3:15:47 AM
Going back a few years now (I am afraid we took too big a leap ahead in my previous post) we find this outstanding master work (a gross understatement actually) by William Turner. It was painted circa 1813 and given the great amount of detail put in it, it must have been pretty laborious to complete. But the effect intended is perfect, as not only can you feel in your own face and hands the frost bites that the people and the animals in the picture must be suffering, but the rare beauty of the work itself has, in fact, not suffered a bit in the process.

William Turner - Frosty Morning (oil on canvas, c.1813)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Bob
Bob Shoaf

202 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
6/10/2013 12:13:25 PM
Such beautiful paintings.

Thanks for sharing,

Bob Shoaf
I teach Network Marketers how to Brand themselves, generate Leads, build Relationships and Grow Themselves & Their Teams! www.Bob55.com All for Free in your company! Bob Shoaf (575) 415-8671 Cell Anytime A Mentor with a Servants Heart
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/11/2013 2:20:52 AM

You are very welcome, Bob.

Miguel

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/11/2013 2:59:35 AM
While in Venice, in 1819, Turner would appear to have painted different versions of San Giorgio Maggiore, each in a different light. We have previously seen an "early morning" version in page 2, but I am showing it back again to contrast it with the one painted "at dawn", which appears immediately below. The only difference is I am using this time larger images for a better appreciation of the variations.

William Turner - S. Giorgio Maggiore: Morning (watercolor on paper, 1819)

William Turner - San Giorgio Maggiore at Dawn (watercolor on paper, 1819)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!