Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - WILLIAM TURNER
6/9/2013 7:36:55 PM

Miguel,

I don't want to spoil your historical order of things but had to bring this which I stumbled upon. It is Sun Rising Through Vapour and is as early as 1809.

Quite extraordinary.

The detail can be seen on good copies.

Such a genius.

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/9/2013 11:56:58 PM
Quote:

Miguel,

I don't want to spoil your historical order of things but had to bring this which I stumbled upon. It is Sun Rising Through Vapour and is as early as 1809.

Quite extraordinary.

The detail can be seen on good copies.

Such a genius.

Never mind Roger, I absolutely enjoy flexibility as regards historical order and besides, the beautiful painting you have posted, Sun Raising through Vapour, still was an early one in Turner's career. On the other hand, what I am trying to do is show how he reached that stage at which he simplified his works from his rather academic beginnings to a minimum detail, making them virtually impressionist in their nature.

Miguel

P.S. By the way, there is a greatly enlarged reproduction of
Sun Raising through Vapour here.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/10/2013 12:35:02 AM

Here are two paintings by Turner of approximately the same date that while belonging to the romantic period, still are pretty academic in their character. However, they are already very different in their nature. While the first one is a perfect example of an idyllic scenery, the other must have strongly contributed to his being called a "painter of elements."

William Turner - Pope's Villa, at Twickenham (oil on canvas, 1808)

William Turner - Wreck of a Transport Ship (oil on canvas, c.1810)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/10/2013 1:44:28 AM

Yet incredibly, if you compare the sky in Norham Castle, on the River Tweed (completed in 1823) with the leisurely cows and peasants on its forefront, this extraordinary painting (a watercolor!) is both dramatic and idyllic.

William Turner - Norham Castle, on the River Tweed
(watercolor on paper, 1822-23)

+2
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/10/2013 1:53:02 AM
Quote:

A MAGNIFICENT COMPOSITION

Turner probably was only 25 - 28 years old when he painted this extraordinary view of the Salisbury Cathedral interior. Apart from the precision of the drawing and the superb composition, there is to especially note the exquisite use of light and the resulting glistening yellow-brown hues inundating the enclosure.

William Turner - Interior of Salisbury Cathedral
(watercolor on paper, circa 1802 - 1805)

Hi Miguel, if it took him 3 years to draw this, how much do you think this painting would be worth today?
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!