Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - WILLIAM TURNER
7/25/2013 2:15:25 AM
Quote:
Quote:

You may think these two impressive pictures are different photos of one and the same work by William Turner, but they are actually two works: the oil on canvas possessed by the University of Liverpool and hoarded in the Victoria Gallery & Museum (Liverpool, UK), and a mezzotint inked and printed by Charles Turner (after William Turner) and treasured in the British Museum.

William Turner - The Eruption of the Soufriere Mountains
(oil on canvas, 1815)

(after) William Turner - Eruption of the Soufriere on April 30, 1812 (Burning Mountain)
(mezzotint inked and printed in color, 1815)

I like these 2 better then any you have posted.

Yes, they are photograph-like and most impressive, like real life quality pictures illustrating a newspaper report. In a way, that is what William Turner wanted to convey, like he had witnessed the real fact - in the Caribbean! - though he actually had used a sketch taken at the time by Hugh P Keane Esqre. (you may see all about it here). At any rate, the result was extraordinary.

Now this is anecdotic, but even though I am not sure about it, I will tell you anyway: it seems to me that either Charles Turner, William Turner's relative who made the print that I have posted here below the oil painting, was not familiar with the actual location of the v
olcano, or maybe that all of it was invented by whoever it was that sold the print to the British Museum when they acquired it; or, even, that it was this honorable institution that invented it all: the fact is that the complete description of the print reads "A view of Mount Vesuvius erupting. 1815 Mezzotint inked and printed in colour." You may read this latter description here.

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/26/2013 2:24:24 AM
Dear friends, here are three more "missing" paintings, two of them watercolors, which I guess justify endind this thread at this point. However, in the next few days I might still post a few interesting videos. I appreciate your patience.

William Turner - Dover Castle (watercolor, date unknown)

William Turner - Morning Among the Corniston Fells, Cumberland
(oil on canvas, exhibited 1798)

William Turner - Kenillworth Castle (watercolor on paper, c.1830)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/26/2013 2:32:23 AM
This is an alternative image of Morning Among the Corniston Fells, Cumberland, this one from the Tate Gallery.

William Turner - Morning Among the Corniston Fells, Cumberland
(oil on canvas, exhibited 1798)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/27/2013 2:39:33 AM

The promissed video: a long one (an hour) but very informative.

The Power of Art

Subido el 26/01/2012

The complete series: http://gekos.no/workshop/video.html
The 'Painter of light', Turner was perhaps the most important Romantic painter in England. A master of chaos and dark, raw atmospheres.
English Romantic landscape painter, watercolourist and printmaker, whose style is said to have laid the foundation for Impressionism. he is now regarded as the artist who elevated landscape painting to an eminence rivaling history painting.
One of Britain's most celebrated artists, Turner showed exceptional artistic talent from an early age and entered the Royal Academy aged fourteen. His English landscapes made his name but there was a darker side to his paintings that was difficult for the critics to swallow, both in the increasingly informal use of paint and the subject matter that was critical of the romanticised vision of Britain in the late nineteenth century.
Turner bequeathed 300 of his paintings and 20,000 watercolours and drawings to the nation. He led a secretive private life. He never married, but had a mistress and fathered two children. He died in a temporary lodging in Chelsea, under the assumed name of Booth.

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/28/2013 12:19:48 AM

His self-portrait. I have been reserving it until now.

William Turner - Self-portrait (oil on canvas, c.1799)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!