Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - WILLIAM TURNER
7/16/2013 1:23:35 AM

You are right in that, Roger, as in many other things related to William Turner and his art. He put such a personal touch in all of his works that they are, for the most part, easily recognizable however much, over the years, they differed from one another, particularly in their style and nature. That I remember, however, no other artist has given me so much trouble as he has along this thread - especially when dealing with the order in which his works should be presented. Some of them he took decades to complete, not to mention the fact that at any given time he must have been painting simultaneously two, three or more works of dissimilar character. Worst of all, he almost never dated them!

Here is a painting uniformly exhibited by the most important sites as his last significant master work, an oil of 1848.

William Turner - Ulysses Deriding Polyphemus (oil on canvas, c.1848)

P.S. I don't know if I will keep showing any more Turner works in the next days, weeks or even months, as virtually every day I see or think of other paintings by him, in fact masterpieces - some of them pretty famous - that I may have inadvertently excluded from these pages.

Quote:

Wonderful images.

They really have his style written in every brushstroke.

Roger

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/16/2013 7:08:48 AM

I for one will enjoy all that you bring.

Roger

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/18/2013 2:23:49 AM
For example, how could I miss these two well-known, most elaborated watercolors painted by Turner in his youth?

William Turner - Tintern Abbey: The Transept
(watercolor on paper, c. 1794)

William Turner - Tintern Abbey: The Crossing and Chancel,
Looking towards the East Window (graphite and
watercolor on paper, 1784)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/18/2013 2:42:09 AM
Or this other super elaborated watercolor completed two years later, in 1796? Note that I am not saying "super elaborated" in a derisive fashion, and will only say Turner, like virtually all great artists in the past, took his art most seriously and also like them, never shied from working hard: rather enjoyed it.

William Turner - Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
(watercolor on paper, 1796)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/19/2013 12:59:11 AM

The extent of detail and the atmosphere in this powerful, beautiful master work are remarkable. Turner was just twenty years old when he painted it.

William Turner - Welsh Bridge at Shrewsbury
(watercolor on paper, exhibited 1795)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!