Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - WILLIAM TURNER
7/19/2013 2:06:49 AM

Presenting this work by William Turner indeed requires an explanation, but I will give it at the botom of this post. I will only say that it is a copy of an etching by Piranese, but even so it is so beautiful that I decided to show it here.

William Turner - Dark Prison ("Carcere Oscura"), after Piranese
(watercolor over graphite, 1790s)

Turner copied this view of an imaginary prison interior from an etching by the Italian printmaker, architect, archaeologist, art theorist, and designer Giovanni Battista Piranesi (1720–1778). Like other scenes from Piranesi's celebrated Carceri d'invenzione, this image (Dark Prison with a Courtyard for the Punishment of Criminals) presents a cavernous space crisscrossed by labyrinthine walkways and populated by diminutive figures. Turner made this drawing at the beginning of his career, presumably at the evening "Academy" of Dr. Thomas Monro (1759–1833), a pioneering psychologist who welcomed artists to his home to copy or color works in his collection. (Other versions after the present Piranesi design by members of the Monro circle are known.) Although Turner often worked in close collaboration with his friend Thomas Girtin in preparing copies, the present work appears to have been made by Turner alone.

"Joseph Mallord William Turner: Dark Prison ('Carcere Oscura'), after Piranesi (06.1051.3)". In Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History. New York: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2000–. http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/06.1051.3 (October 2006)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/20/2013 3:02:33 AM

Three wonderful watercolors variously painted over a prolongued span of time by Turner.

William Turner - Château de Rinkenburg, on the Lac de Brientz
(watercolor on paper, 1809)

William Turner - Bamborough Castle (watercolour on paper, date unknown)

William Turner - Venice at Sunrise from the Hotel Europa, with
the Campanile of San Marco (watercolor on paper, c. 1840)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/20/2013 3:22:24 AM

Bamborough Castle
, shown in the previous post (the image in the middle).

William Turner - Bamborough Castle (watercolour on paper, date unknown)

(In the image, Sotheby's workers hold the painting at Sotheby's Auction House on November 16, 2007 in London, England. Turner's lost masterpiece, expected to fetch up to 2.5 million pounds when it went up for auction on December 5, had not been seen in public for 118 years.)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/23/2013 2:07:07 AM

Two famous Turner master works here. Centered on the same awesome scenery, St Gotthard, one is a most beautiful watercolor, the other a magnificent oil on canvas: both were painted around the same date. Sorry I had missed them both too.

William Turner - The St Gotthard Pass
(watercolor and scratchout on paper, 1804)

William Turner - The Devil's Bridge, St Gotthard
(oil on canvas, c.1803-4)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/23/2013 2:24:45 AM

The date of these two extraordinary watercolors is unknown, but who cares? Well I do, but only a bit and just out of curiosity. Pretty different in their conception and execution, they are both masterpieces in their own right.

William Turner - Genda (pencil and watercolor
on paper, date unknown)

William Turner - Rainbow (watercolor on paper,
date unknown)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!