Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - WILLIAM TURNER
7/10/2013 2:34:20 AM

Back to the 1840's and more precisely its second year, we find a sort of anticipation of Leo Tolstoy's memorable novel, 'War and Peace', in two magnificent master works.

William Turner - War, the Exile and the Rock Limpet (oil on canvas, 1842)

William Turner - Peace: Burial at Sea (oil on canvas, 1842)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/10/2013 2:53:01 AM
We are now in 1843 and William Turner keeps producing master works that while highly contrasting in both theme and style, are none-the-less most impressive in their effect.

William Turner - Approach to Venice (oil on canvas, 1843)

William Turner - Whitby (watercolor on paper, c.1843?)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/11/2013 1:58:48 AM
In spite of their great quality, some outstanding paintings by Turner have apparently never deserved to be photographed in the same big sizes than other more fortunate ones. Why it should be so is something I don't exactly know, but anyway, here are small images, the only ones I have been able to find, of two exquisite masterpieces of the period we are reviewing.

William Turner - The Dark Rigi (watercolor on paper, 1842)

William Turner - Brunnen from Lake Lucerne (watercolor on paper, 1845)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/11/2013 2:30:23 AM

Here are two extraordinary master works from approximately the same decade that depict the elements of nature in a superb fashion. This time the images, borrowed from the Tate Gallery, can again be enlarged to bigger sizes - you just have to click on them.

William Turner - Seascape with Storm Coming On
(oil on canvas, c.1840)

William Turner - Stormy Sea with Blazing Wreck
(oil on canvas, c.1840)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/12/2013 2:35:47 AM

Dear friends, I hope you won't mind if at his point I once again go back in time to show masterpieces that were overlooked in the previous pages - all the more if they
are a miscellanea of themes that include Turner's usual seascapes (notably a great version of 'Scarborough', the painting that opened this thread, plus an extraordinary view of the Thames) with a delicious sample of Greek mithology ('Vision of Medea') amid them.

William Turner - Scarborough (watercolor and graphite on paper, c.1825)

William Turner - Vision of Medea (oil on canvas, 1828)

William Turner - The Thames above Waterloo Bridge
(oil on canvas, c.1830-5)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!