Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - WILLIAM TURNER
7/2/2013 3:27:00 AM

Turner's next decade, from approximately 1820 - 1829, has, in my opinion,
been fairly well covered along this thread with greatly significant masterpieces as The Bay of Baiae with Apollo and the Sybil (of circa 1823) on page 2, Sunrise. Whiting Fishing at Margate (watercolor of 1822) on page 9, Norham Castle, on the River Tweed (watercolor of 1822-23) on page 5, Rodhes (1823 - 1824), Prudhoe Castle, Northumberland (1826) and Scene on the Loire (1826-1830), all three watercolors posted on page 12, et cetera. There are, however, three or four important master works that went missing all the same. I will show them in this and my next post.

William Turner -
Mortlake Terrace (oil on canvas, 1826)

William Turner -
Windsor Castle (watercolor on paper, c.1828)
Alternative image (Tate org.):

William Turner - Windsor Castle (watercolor on paper, c.1828)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/2/2013 4:10:52 AM

For sure, these
other two watercolors are no lesser master works than any other work by Turner. Of the two, the one on top is pretty famous. The one at the bottom is not even well known to the general public but is pretty good all the same.

William Turner -
Alnwick Castle (watercolor on paper, c.1829)

William Turner - Calais Sands at Low Water: Poissards Collecting Bait
(oil on canvas, 1830)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/3/2013 1:42:58 AM

These two paintings cannot be more contrasting - both in theme and in their finishing degree from a simple, sketchy yet outstanding landscape, to a magnificently accomplished portrait of Venice's 'Bridge of Sighs' and other famillar places. However, they were painted in the same year approximately.

William Turner - View over Town at Sunset: A Cemetery on the Foreground
(bodycolor on blue paper, 1832)

William Turner - Bridge of Sighs, Ducal Palace and Custom-House, Venice: Canaletti Painting
(oil on mahogany, exhibited 1833)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/3/2013 2:19:15 AM

With William Turner, the problem of getting good images of his works has been more acute than is usually the case with other artists and so, posting them on this forum has frequently been a matter of choice. However, my decision in some cases has been extremely difficult. The examples presented here and in my next post are only two of such cases, but they are apt to give you an idea of how much they can differ from each other.

William Turner - Regulus (oil on canvas, 1828, reworked 1837)

William Turner - Regulus (oil on canvas, 1828, reworked 1837)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/3/2013 2:40:28 AM

Here is the other example that I have selected - and very likely an even more acute one. Both in my previous example and in this one I sincerely have not been able to opt for an image - each have merits and demerits. And as I have explained in a previous post, in most cases there unfortunately are not abundant images to choose from.

William Turner - Flint Castle (watercolor on paper, 1838)

William Turner - Flint Castle (watercolor on paper, 1838)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!