Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - WILLIAM TURNER
7/4/2013 2:45:10 AM
Here are two exceedingly beautiful oil paintings by William Turner that somehow also went missing in this thread. Both with the Mediterranean as omnipresent motive.

William Turner - Ancient Rome: Agrippina Landing with the Ashes of Germanicus
(oil on canvas, exhibited 1839)

William Turner - Giudecca, La Donna Della Salute and San Georgio
(oil on canvas, 1841)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/4/2013 2:56:09 AM
And here are two no-less beautiful watercolor paintings of about the same time with also the Mediterranean as the all-pervading motive.

William Turner - The Punta della Dogana and Santa Maria della Salute at Twilight, from
the Hotel Europa
(graphite, watercolor and pen and ink on paper, 1840)

William Turner - Boats in Front of the Dogana and Santa Maria della Salute
(graphite, watercolor, bodycolor and pen and ink on paper, 1840)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/5/2013 2:25:16 AM

And here is William Turner's oil painting
Dogana and Santa Maria della Salute, Venice of 1843 - a master work in every sense yet inexplicably overlooked by most art websites.

William Turner - Dogana and Santa Maria della Salute, Venice
(oil on canvas, 1843)
______
"Displayed at the Royal Academy in 1843, Turner’s late view of Venice shows the Customs House, or Dogana, from an angle opposite to that seen in his 1834 picture. Behind the Dogana, the domes of the Church of Santa Maria della Salute rise against the vibrantly luminous sky. Although his early works had made Turner wealthy and famous, this later style — in which light evaporates the solid forms — was far too avant-garde for his contemporaries to comprehend. In retrospect, however, it is such late works that had the most impact upon subsequent landscapists
..."

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/5/2013 9:50:47 PM

This indeed special.

The buildings have a strange mixture of solidity and transparency.

Overall effect is very pleasing and a good composition.

Roger

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/6/2013 1:59:29 AM
It certainly is something special, Roger - among other things because according to the comment from the National Museum of Art, Washington, it is light - and not mist, as I believed at first - that evaporates the solid forms in this painting; and it was this later style that would have the most impact on subsequent landscapists and not Turner's early works, despite they had made him wealthy and famous.

And so, though I had thought to end this thread with this very painting, something has made me reconsider: Turner's production was so vast, and there are so manyl masterpieces that I have not included so far despite their outstanding qualities, that it certainly deserves a last effort - a last repass - that gets them make it to the end.

Miguel

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!