Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - WILLIAM TURNER
6/29/2013 1:45:52 AM

These two well-known, pretty romantic paintings (how could I miss them, especially
Fishermen at Sea?), on the contrary, may be posted together as they are rather similar in both theme and atmosphere. Yet put to choose between the two, I would of course go for the former.

William Turner - Fishermen at Sea (oil on canvas, 1796)

William Turner - Moonlight (oil on canvas, exhibited 1797)

Alternative image (in the Art Renewal Center website):

William Turner - Moonlight (oil on canvas, exhibited 1797)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+3
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/29/2013 2:27:50 AM

According to the Tate Gallery, which treasures it, the full name of this most romantic master work by William Turner is 'Buttermere Lake, with Part of Cromackwater, Cumberland, a Shower'. It was based on a sketchbook study worked up in watercolour to show the stormy conditions he presumably witnessed in a tour of the region the previous year. "This was his cue for the mood of this dramatic painting, enlivened by the rainbow which would become a frequent motif. Turner is making a consciously 'Sublime' statement, intended to evoke the viewer’s awe at the grandeur of Nature."

William Turner - Buttermere Lake: A Shower (oil on canvas, c.1798)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/29/2013 2:46:09 AM
Turner's mood would seem to have shifted to a somewhat less dramatic one with this extraordinary master work, a watercolor! It is now 1806 and he is painting wonderful pieces of such extraordinary sceneries as the one we are enjoying here... more than two hundred years later.

William Turner - The Lake of Thun, Switzerland
(watercolor on paper, 1806)

+2
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/29/2013 9:06:26 AM

Miguel,

I guess that this work is, as you say, early.

This artist must have already known it's merits well in 1807 to have performed a style copy, and very well too.

Sir Augustus Wall Callcott,

Sheerness and the Isle of Sheppey (after J.M.W. Turner) c.1807-8

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/29/2013 9:13:05 AM

Although the works shown so far are wonderful I think that the atmosphere in this is stunningly outstanding. The sky and moon are quite breathtaking.

William Turner - Fishermen at Sea (oil on canvas, 1796)
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!