Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - WILLIAM TURNER
6/30/2013 1:21:05 AM
Hello Roger,

Thank you for the great feedback, particularly about the 'style copy' of Turner's
Sheerness and the Isle of Sheppey. Interesting how Sir Augustus Wall Callcott, its author, made himself a copy of the sailboat and of the wave on the left of the painting but added at its center the saylors in distress and the other boats to the right. Your comment on Fishermen at Sea is to me even more interesting because it expresses my own feelings. I remember what my own reaction was the first time I saw this precious masterpiece and indeed, it took my breath away.

Thanks again,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/1/2013 1:43:02 AM

In order to facilitate this last review of Turner's works, I may need from now on to show two, three or even four works per post. This does not mean these works are less important or lack in beauty or other qualities, far from it, but either I missed them out or, for some reason, they have remained little known or unimportant to the main art websites.
In a few cases, I have only been able to find smaller images than the ones shown so far in this thread.

William Turner - Ships Bearing up for Anchorage ('The Egremont Sea Piece')
(oil on canvas, 1802)

William Turner - Calais Pier, with French Poissards preparing for Sea:
an English Packet arriving (oil on canvas, 1803)

William Turner - A Coast Scene with Fishermen Hauling a Boat Ashore
(oil on canvas, 1803-1804)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/1/2013 2:21:30 AM
This one masterpiece deserves to be exhibited alone in spite of the poor image - the only I have been able to find. However, I am accompanying it with Turner's magnificent preliminary study of 1805.

William Turner - Dido and Eneas (oil on canvas, exhibited 1814)

William Turner - Study for 'Dido and Eneas' (pen and ink on canvas, 1805)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/1/2013 2:32:08 AM

Now this seascape painting of 1818 does equally deserve to be exhibited alone - with the added stimulus that it is offered in a magnificent photographic image.

William Turner - Dort, the Dort Packet Boat from Rotterdam Bacalmed
(oil on canvas, c. 1818)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/1/2013 7:22:13 AM

Wow,

It's like a birthday every day here.

Fabulous images.

Roger