Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
RE: SEO is...
7/26/2013 2:14:52 PM
Mark,

Methinks that user wasn't really interested in discussing new ways to do SEO. Methinks it was more interested in getting it's links posted.

That said, you do give a pretty good answer/explanation of how the SE's and SEO work. Thanks!

Quote:
Quote:
We have to find a new way for SEO.

I have to ask!

What part do you not understand? It would help to find what you are trying to do.

Let me see if i can explain it in my terms.

If you searched for something, and that means anything on the Internet, and any browser you are using, pages show up, that to them, (search engine) is the best that describes what you are looking for, by the terms, keywords and phrases you type in. Now look at where they are coming from. the page name that is underlined, and most important the link they are coming from. That's SEO and the ones you are seeing are at the time, ranking highest in the search terms you typed in.

But to really get to why you think that there needs to be a different way, what is it that you are trying to do? Please share in detail as much as you can as there are some really good people and even experts on this subject of SEO.

My first year with learning or understanding SEO I wanted to know why I was so stupid that I could not understand it. The second year things seem to start falling into place as what I was learning started making sense. The third year I get it, but still learning and read as a continuing education.

There is another factor that comes to mind and that is the platform you are working with.

David Weed President,
+0
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/26/2013 3:53:41 PM
When I read the comment "We have to find a new way for SEO" trusing soul that I am, didn't consider the possibility that this person and other people would consider that these kind of droplinks ( whether obvious or subtle) would be good SEO and yet when I sit back and see the antics of so many people doing this very thing on all the social networks, then I realized this is EXACTLY what so many people are doing and to be honest it is annoying but also it says to me that people are not learning how to market socially properly.

In and of itself, SEO in its most basic form is not that hard to understand, but yes when it comes to the "technical" side, then there are learning curves.

With all the changes that keep happening with Google, then people get confused and yet when I really think about it..sharing good information, thinking about what people are looking for is not difficult and holding those thoughts in mind when you are writing or sharing content is a sure winner no matter what Google says or does..am I wrong here?
+0
Mr.
Mr. D

840 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
7/26/2013 10:59:48 PM

First may i say when I talk of Google, it is in short or just another way of saying Search Engines. Although I do submit to a lot of different Search Engines, Google is one powerful working internet machine. And yes, you are without a doubt right on with what you are saying and agreed. You made a very powerful and yet simple statement. "thinking about what people are looking for" and "writing or sharing to fulfill their needs" (added a little to it)

Now comes to play where it is written, what authority sites that are open content where search engines can see and crawl.

This is where I differ from so many that think social media is the God of all.

Say for just the sake of something that will never happen, social media drops of the grid. That means no Facebook, Twitter, Scoop-it, or PInit, or what ever it is called.

(just kidding)

What would happen to you, and yes I mean you and everyone else that may be reading and following this discussion.

With out the hangouts, pinning, liking, re-tweets, and re-spanks, I would almost bet that many would be one lost soul. No place on earth anyone would know or see your shares, and most likely your affiliate promotions. Now mind you, that I do not see eye to eye on anything said about that you need to be on social as much as spoken, but that's ok, not concerned and that is a totally different conversation.

There is a reason that I am not all about social the way people think. One is i don't have to. There other is I can not even handle the visitors and the traffic that I am getting now. I will say that if was so slow with what I do that it is time to go social, I would and full throttle. So this may help to understand that it is not that I don't understand the involvement with social media on the businesses side, it is a I don't need to.

OK, sorry back to SEO.

It's so simple. being able to deliver to the questions asked, information, products, services looking for. AND

Doing it on a authority platform where search engines can find it.

I am not sure if you have noticed the falling of authority sites that used to be more when doing searches. Do you know what they are?

Do you know that some sites are not worth the time any more for publications?

They seem to have a falling.

So the next thing i would like to see is about what is to you, that you find for business side of things, a working optimized search engine friendly, and a publications platform that you think or know, that is your main working platform?

How cares what they did. It got a little attention and something to talk about.

A little too much on my part.

+0
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/27/2013 2:55:02 AM
Hi Mark ( and of course David), I wanted to make sure that I could give a viewpoint that would give a different or at least an interesting point of view and you have said so many thing in this one comment that its a little hard to know where to start, but going to give it my best shot lol................

1."Say for just the sake of something that will never happen, social media drops of the grid. That means no Facebook, Twitter, Scoop-it, or PInit, or what ever it is called.
(just kidding)
What would happen to you, and yes I mean you and everyone else that may be reading and following this discussion."

Answer:

The fact is that if social media was suddenly shut down, we would have to go back to pre Facebook and some people would not be upset in fact would be happy with that ..words like " people would have to get a life" is just one of the things I have heard people say.
But and this needs to be thought about, we live in a time and age where we are dependent on technology for everything and when you consider email as a form of social media, mobile phones, music videos and music downloads as a form of "social" media then the chaos that would occur would be very difficult to deal with for many people.

Those businesses who are totally online would obviously have a big issue as without a way to get to other people online, one would have to ask how would they do business.

There was once a time that people felt safe and secure creating a business online, but others started to understand that to have a business you need one that will cover both worlds, the virtual and the RL for many reasons I might add.

moving forward....

2. "With out the hangouts, pinning, liking, re-tweets, and re-spanks, I would almost bet that many would be one lost soul. No place on earth anyone would know or see your shares, and most likely your affiliate promotions. Now mind you, that I do not see eye to eye on anything said about that you need to be on social as much as spoken, but that's ok, not concerned and that is a totally different conversation.
There is a reason that I am not all about social the way people think. One is i don't have to. There other is I can not even handle the visitors and the traffic that I am getting now. I will say that if was so slow with what I do that it is time to go social, I would and full throttle. So this may help to understand that it is not that I don't understand the involvement with social media on the businesses side, it is a I don't need to."

Answer:

There are many companies and small businesses who are not online at all and if you are one of them and it is working for you I will say Bravo!

I will say that many offline companies have created simple sites that have been optimized and are advertising on such places as Groupon and all the other sites that will focus on local merchants and they are indeed getting a measure of success. The social aspect is where people can give their opinion regarding the product or service. In some ways it is working but as we all know ( or should know) all it takes is one bad review and we have a situation as what happened on Yelp.

Many many big name companies have embraced social media not so much to sell, but to compete with others ( think Pepsi versus coke) to brand themselves and create brand awareness. There are also other companies who are being told to come on line and be social with no idea of what to do and how to do it. What is alarming is that more than 60% of these small business owners are not having any success or see any ROI. It all sounds very dismal doesn't it and I should be questioning my job lol

Social media is not a science and in fact it is still very new and we are all still learning..what I can say is that for the everyday company social media can be a fantastic brand awareness, lead generator. Its a great way to listen to what people are saying but it was never meant to be a selling machine! small or large business who come on line need to learn that the one thing that is required is patience and consistency...be where your customers are congregating and get involved.

On a side note, I am a social media manager and my job in many ways is like a good affiliate marketer..we don't sell anything, we lead a way for the customers and pre customers to come to a company ..it is up to the company to be ready for them and sell lol

3. "it's so simple. being able to deliver to the questions asked, information, products, services looking for. AND
Doing it on a authority platform where search engines can find it.
I am not sure if you have noticed the falling of authority sites that used to be more when doing searches. Do you know what they are?
Do you know that some sites are not worth the time any more for publications?
They seem to have a falling.

So the next thing i would like to see is about what is to you, that you find for business side of things, a working optimized search engine friendly, and a publications platform that you think or know, that is your main working platform?"

Answer:

This is the toughest question to answer, but I am going to make the attempt lol

I have found that many of the so called authority sites are still doing things that work, but they are missing the most important ingredient and that believe it or not is being social and utilizing social media as a good tool that can create authority in the here and now. SEO is very simple...yes! but while many are still debating the relevance of social context, I believe we are seeing a fundamental change in how people are looking for their "answers" and that is where the social context needs to be addressed.

I find it appalling that many people are using sites such as Google plus as a publication platform and yet many people are doing just that..they have EVERYTHING there and if anything happens..all their work will be GONE! I love the idea of free ways to blog and I encourage people to use them to learn how to do things, but that again is not the end all be all. Having your own site with your own blog at the center of your efforts is the only way to go. when you put your efforts into your own site with relevant content be on a blog, then reaching out to social media, then you have an authority and the ownership of what you are doing. Its this wonderful symmetry and flow and I love it.

Social media is not a fad and with more and more people being on mobile, I feel it is not only going to stay, but it is changing the very fabric of what we have known as 2.0 and heading into Web 3.0..just my thoughts on the matter.

I think that it is my turn to say that this one persons post lol ( or link drop) has created a great way to talk about a subject that I really enjoy..but maybe a little bit too much on my pat ha ha ha.
+1
7/27/2013 1:31:38 PM
First of all, Diane and Mark, thank you, thank you, thank you for participating in this discussion! *I* am learning things from both of you!

There are some great points to be taken from both of you, but one thing I'd like to interject here is that SEO is NOT Social Media Marketing (SMM). Although both have a similar objective and similar tactics and in spite of the SE's (sorry Mark I just despise the G so much I refuse to use their name as a synonym for SE, besides SE is shorter!) inclusion of a site's social media presence in their algorithms, they are still two different beasties.

My personal take is that you simply must have great "ON PAGE" SEO with a reasonable amount of relevant "off page" backlinks as a starting point. Ideally some of those backlinks will come from social sites, at a minimum from your profile on those sites.
I say this because even for a brick and mortar, 'the interwebs" is how your customers consume information. Whether from their phone, laptop, tablet or desktop box, they get nearly all of their "input" from this medium. Newspapers are closing all over the country because people have stopped reading them "off line". Television is even bridging itself to include "internet connectivity".
Simply put if you want people to know about your business you have to have an internet presence, preferably one that is easily accessed by multiple devices.

But there is a second component emerging due to all of this available "input" for the consumer. To filter through this information overload the consumer is wanting a more "personal" relationship from those with whom they choose to do business. They need a "trust" factor that the normally cold indifferent algorithm of the SE's cannot provide. This is where SMM comes into play. By having a social presence you give potential customers an opportunity to get to know "you" by viewing how your other customers have 'reviewed' your performance.
So whether your reviews are on FB, twitter or Angie's List you're using SMM. If your LinkedIn or Google+ profile links back to your main site, you're using SMM.

And that isn't a bad thing. I don't know if it really has MAJOR positive effect on your SERP's but anything that helps your customers and potential customers make a better buying decision is a plus in my book.

As Diane suggests it is the height of foolishness to have G+ (or any single entity) as your sole publication platform. The old saw about putting all of ones eggs in a single basket comes to mind. Indeed, having a main freestanding domain with additional info on sites like G+, blogs, tumblr, etc. does seem to help support a main site.

Over the past month I have been doing some research regarding what really seems to be the driving force behind the SERPs for any particular site. I'll be running a test of this through August and September.

I'll be sure to let all of the Adlanders know what I discover.
David Weed President,
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!