Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Post 1900 Peruvian art
5/12/2013 10:10:31 AM

Miguel,

I found a whole lot of images by Amilcar Salomón
Zorrilla which are in that Aztec/Maya style.

I will try to bring another.

This next one one is clearly signed.

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/12/2013 10:12:16 AM

Branka,

So glad that you like these images. Although, as Miguel has pointed out, the images are commercial and poster-like they are VERY imaginative and powerful.

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/12/2013 10:19:51 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Yes Roger, I do agree with you on color. I love these 2 for all the color. Jose must have liked heavier people, my kind of person. lol

Haha,

So funny Myrna,

His work is like the Peruvian version of Beryl Cooke who's paintings sell by the ton worldwide. It's the charm and the subject that is important.

These are definitely not Peruvian, however, relevant to discussion. Maybe I should do a Beryl Cook forum at some time.

Roger

+0
Michael Caron

2248 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/12/2013 4:26:33 PM

10_1_136.gifHi Roger,

I agree with everyone on all of these paintings. It is a shame that over the years, we have had so many subliminal messages being fed to us through religions and censorships in the media that nudity is a bad thing. The human body is the most beautiful work of art that there is. In Genisis, after Eve took a bite from the forbidden fruit, and tempted Adam to do the same, they both realized that they were naked and that it was wrong, so they covered themselves. When GOD punished them, it was not because they were naked, but rather because they disobeyed him by eating of the fruit. Every animal on Earth goes through life as they were born, except for the human animal. Seconds after a baby is born, a diaper is applied. The pictures that I enjoy the most are that of average people. Although a naked picture of Marilyn Monroe would be exciting, a picture of someone a little heavier, or thinner, or perhaps miss proportioned would be more appealing because it would be more natural. As long as we have censorship and the Vatican dictating to us what we like and what we don't like, we will never be able to enjoy true art. If I am not mistaken, some of Michael Angelo's first paintings had to be redone because of the nudity, which was done, in my opinion, in good taste.

GOD BLESS YOU

~Mike~

http://www.countryvalues65.com

smogmeinichols3.jpg

Michael J. Caron (Mike) TRUTH IN ADVERTISING!! Friends First. Business Later.
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/12/2013 6:13:08 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Roger and friends,

Though unfamiliar for the most part with
Jose de la Barra's art, I love most of his paintings. I appreciate your posting them, Roger. May I say, you are right in your love of color. Jose de la Barra's use of it is fantastic, as fantastic as his subjects are. In my opinion, he is wonderful as an artist, a winner in every sense.

It is different with Boris Vallejo, he looks to me more an American from U.S.A than a Peruvian; and while his art is indeed spectacular, it is apparently limited to the world of fantasy you see in cartoons. However, and it is with deep regret that I say this, I would need to know it better before giving a more specific opinion.

As to Amilcar Zorrilla: again, I would like to know his work better as to be frank, I find the abstract and the self-portrait (I am assuming it is a self-portrait)
extraordinary; but the Indians with the stepped pyramid in the background would seem to be painted by another artist, possibly a Mexican one, as this work looks very much like some aboriginal frescoes in the Maya or the Aztec ruins do. But this of course is only my opinion and it may be wrong.

Hugs,

Miguel

Thanks Miguel,

It's my aim with my South American forums to stir some interest in too little a discussed area of art. So many pre 1900 artists were trained in what we might call Western or widely European styles and it took movements like the impressionists to break away from that mould. Some of the artists that I bring may be popular artists but I feel that one day their work will be appreciated for their depiction of the modern mind.

I am glad that not every artist here is the group of GOOD artists but appeal to many. After all, most artists need either self-satisfaction or the applause of the world in general. As long as peoplr are honest in their views a comment about my work spurs me to do better or to follow a certain course. What I am discovering is that to make a living as an artist you have to be good or give people what they like. I suspect that knowing the history of European art a little, that I'm not the first aspiring artist to discover this?

Roger, I have just visited Amilcar Salomon Zorrilla's website here. The paintings you posted are exhibited there among a lot of other works - apparently small frescoes - most of which follow the same pattern depicting aboriginal themes of such pre-Inca ancient cultures as the Mochica, in Peru, and the Tiahuanaco in Bolivia, which in many ways were more akin to the Aztec and the Maya cultures than to the Inca - hence my believing them to be Aztec or Maya. They all seem to constitute his life's work and are offered for sale. Here is the last one in the section "16 Pre-Incan Cultures"' of the site:

Amilcar Salomon Zorrilla - Centuries of Libertarian Struggle
(Mural, 14.5 x 20 inch)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!