Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Post 1900 Peruvian art
5/15/2013 7:18:49 AM

Quote:
Hi Roger,

I really like this kind of art work. It just keeps you guessing what the artist had in mind.

Myrna

I agree Myrna,

These images contain some indiginous symbols important in Peru's ancient past.

Roger

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/15/2013 1:42:15 PM

Do you like this artist?

Jorge Vinatea Reinoso (April 22, 1900 - July 15, 1931) was a Peruvian painter.

Reinoso was born in Arequipa. His first exhibition was in 1917, and by 1918 he had moved to Lima. There, from 1919 to 1924, he was taught by painter Daniel Hernández at the Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes. He worked for a while as an art critic and caricaturist and in 1925 attained a teaching job at the Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes.

As a cartoonist, in 1922 he created the first Peruvian comic strip series to use speech balloons: Travesuras de Serrucho y Volatín.

Reinoso died in his hometown of Arequipa.

Lake Titicaca Marshes

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/15/2013 1:48:35 PM

SERVULO GUTIERREZ

Sérvulo Gutiérrez. The Andes (1943).

Sérvulo Gutiérrez Alarcón (1914 – 21 July 1961) was a Peruvian artist,[1] described by The Times as "Peru’s most celebrated painter".[2] He was initially untaught and self-educated, but then trained under the artist Emilio Pettoruti. Gutiérrez had a relationship with Doris Gibson.

Life

Sérvulo Gutiérrez was born in Ica. He had little in the way of normal education and initially trained in Lima to be a boxer. He moved to Buenos Aires, where he focused on pottery of the Pre-Columbian period, establishing premises to both conserve such items as well as to manufacture new ones in the tradition of that style.[3]

Gutiérrez was self-taught until he had the opportunity to study in Buenos Aires for eight years with the major Argentine painter, Emilio Pettoruti (1892–1971).[4] He travelled to Paris in 1938, where the study of work by French artists broadened his approach away from an academic direction towards a delineated and sculptural Expressionist style, which he pursued after his return to Peru in 1942.[3] Gutiérrez' masterpiece is a depiction of a powerful and crude nude woman, The Andes (1943), representing "the unavoidable South American reality."[4] He was not an intellectual and this may explain how the tenor of his work is that of a "direct, living testimony."[4]

His interest in sculpture was stimulated by his apprenticeship under Pettoruti, and although he did not produce many works of this kind, his sculpture Amazonia won first prize in a competition in 1942.[3]

The influence of other European avant-garde styles did not affect him, and for some time he incorporated the influence of the Peruvian Indigenist manner in his work.[3] Subsequently his Expressionist tendencies intensified with techniques such as scoring the paint surface to create textural effects and heightening his colours with gestural marks of black, red, blue and green paint, leading at the beginning of the 1950s to such works such as Don Juan (1952).[3] This direction intensified with a violent Fauvist manner into mystical subjects, including St Rosa de Lima (c. 1960–61).[3]

Gutiérrez had a relationship with Doris Gibson, who was a muse to him as well as a lover.[5] After an argument between them, he sold a full-size nude painting, which he had done of her, to a well-off businessman.[5] Gibson arrived at the businessman's house with a photographer and, on the pretext of needing daylight for a photograph, took the painting outside and promptly drove away with it.[5] When he later asked for its return, she responded, "I don't want to be nude in your house."[5]

He died in Lima on 21 July 1961.

I love this Fauvist portrait

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/16/2013 8:55:06 PM

Carlos Revilla

Again,

due to the nude nature of many images I have limited works shown.

Carlos Revilla was born August 19, 1940 in Clermont-Ferrand, France, the son of a Peruvian diplomat and a French mother. Because of his father's profession he spent most of his childhood in several countries in Europe, Latin America and the United States. Between 1956 and 1961 he studied at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Amsterdam. His first exhibitions were in Brussels, Paris and Rome. While living in Cadaqués, Spain, he formed a strong friendship with Salvador Dali and met Man Ray, Marcel Duchamp and others. These events greatly influenced his career and formed his style: surrealism. In search of his roots, from 1960 he traveled several times to a country to which he felt greatly attracted, Peru. His distinguished career in Europe includes major awards such as Ramazzotti in Milan, the Prix Europe of Ostende, etc., countless exhibitions in major museums and prestigious galleries in Belgium, Italy (he was invited to the Venice Biennale three times), Sweden, France, Holland, Spain, Cyprus, the USA, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay and Peru. Revilla has a long and brilliant artistic career that has led him to different countries without losing his Peruvian roots, which are clearly reflected in his work, where the influence of such masters as Carnach, Dürer, Velazquez, Chiricco, Piero Dalla Francesca, is also evident. Revilla's paintings are included in important private collections as well as prestigious museums around the world, which demonstrates the great international recognition of his art.

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/16/2013 8:57:00 PM

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!