Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Mexican Art and Artists since 1900. Share, look, learn and discuss
3/26/2013 10:00:30 PM

Camionsito Rojo
Fernando Olivera (Oaxaca, Mexico),
Gouache on paper (14 1/8" x 22 1/4", 36 x 52 cm), 2011

Long renowned as a center for folk art production, the mountainous southern Mexico state of Oaxaca has a growing reputation for the fine arts as well. Birthplace of the late masters Rufino Tamayo, Rodolfo Nieto and Rodolfo Morales, Oaxaca has also produced such leading Mexican artists as Francisco Toledo. But it is the vitality of the younger generation of Oaxaca artists, such as Enrique Flores, Leovigildo Martinez, Fernando Olivera, and Carlomagno Pedro that has led critics to identify a distinct Oaxaca School of Mexican art. Oaxacan art draws its strength from native Indian culture, myths and legends. It is suffused with "magic realism" a folk surrealism in which people fly and mysterious juxtapositions are the norm. As poet Alberto Blanco has written, the artists of Oaxaca "all tend to depict one theme: the appearance in our history of another time and place. A space within another space. A time within another time."

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/27/2013 1:18:22 PM
Quote:

Camionsito Rojo
Fernando Olivera (Oaxaca, Mexico),
Gouache on paper (14 1/8" x 22 1/4", 36 x 52 cm), 2011

Long renowned as a center for folk art production, the mountainous southern Mexico state of Oaxaca has a growing reputation for the fine arts as well. Birthplace of the late masters Rufino Tamayo, Rodolfo Nieto and Rodolfo Morales, Oaxaca has also produced such leading Mexican artists as Francisco Toledo. But it is the vitality of the younger generation of Oaxaca artists, such as Enrique Flores, Leovigildo Martinez, Fernando Olivera, and Carlomagno Pedro that has led critics to identify a distinct Oaxaca School of Mexican art. Oaxacan art draws its strength from native Indian culture, myths and legends. It is suffused with "magic realism" a folk surrealism in which people fly and mysterious juxtapositions are the norm. As poet Alberto Blanco has written, the artists of Oaxaca "all tend to depict one theme: the appearance in our history of another time and place. A space within another space. A time within another time."

Myrna,

This is great, thank you.

This is colourful, fun and has great indigenous roots.

I really like it.

Just what we want.

Roger

Well found.

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/29/2013 10:33:19 PM

ABOUT DAVID ALFARO SIQUEIROS

DAVID ALFARO SIQUEIROS

Mexican, 1896-1974

David Alfaro Siqueiros was a leading figure in the Mexican school of great mural painters, alongside José Clemente Orozcoand Diego Rivera. Siqueiros was wildly prolific in his career; his work often featured social and political subjects, and demonstrated his influences, including Francisco Goya, religious art, and Italian Futurism. Siqueiros’ works are distinguished for their use of dynamic perspective, monumental forms, dramatic use of shadow, and a limited color palette.

Self portrait 1945

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/29/2013 10:37:11 PM

DAVID ALFARO SIQUEIROS

From Porfirianism to the Revolution (Dal Porfirismo a la Revolucion) [detail], 1964

Mural

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/29/2013 10:45:54 PM
Pedro Coronel
Artist
Pedro Coronel was a Mexican sculptor and painter, part of the Generación de la Ruptura, bringing innovation into Mexican art in the mid 20th century. Wikipedia

Much of this artists work is copyright but he is worth looking at if you like abstracts with a local Mexican feel.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!