Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: The Surrealist Phenomenon - SALVADOR DALI
12/2/2012 10:48:45 AM

Miguel,

Go check out my post at Pat's Christmas forum.

http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/post/897555/ALL-THINGS-CHRISTMAS-Please-share-your-Pictures-Family-Stories-Memories-and-Reci/40.aspx?latest=True#latestpost

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/2/2012 6:59:58 PM

Bravo Roger, surely it was that one Millet that inspired Dali to paint his "Dawn, Noon, Sunset and Twilight." As mentioned in my post, he seems to have drawn his inspiration from many and varied artists/sources, including the impressionists and pointillists who were still very in vogue all along Dali's first two decades of artistic activity.

In addition, his choice of certain mysterious motives in several works points at his being an initiate in some sort of esoteric school or logia as, in fact, many, if not all, other great artists before him were - in particular those who reached a genius status. Millet's work was just a peasant's motive and, that I know, no more than that, but Dali's work goes far beyond to suggest priestesses worshipping the Sun and, why not?, the diurnal cycle and cyclic ages. There you have his painting clocks, Kathleen... he obviously was obsessed with time.

And the same goes for his other favorite symbols, like the cross, for example, which he most likely used to represent the Center of the World around which the whole universe, even time, revolves - a very ancient and important esoteric symbol as well.

So I would say even his
Discovery of America by Christopher Columbus can be interpreted as a lucid reference to the start of the current cyclic age, the Modern Age, with all that it implies. And did you know that he, Dali, is said to have predicted through this painting that it would be an American the first human to put a foot on the Moon?

So far I have tried to approach Dali's life and works
in albis, since I love approaching my subjects without any pre-conceptions. But the more I get into them, the more intriguing discoveries I make. I am so excited by all this. I guess you are too, Roger.

Once again, thanks for your feedback.

Hugs,

Miguel

Quote:
Quote:
Friends,

But, what to say of this painting below that doesn't even look like a Dali (but is a Dali) with its symmetrical figures of women and its absolutely tranquil atmosphere? It was painted almost ten years later but it seems to be a hundred years older and sort of light-years apart in style - which is no demerit of course.

"Dawn, Noon, Sunset and Twilight" (oil on wood, 1979)

I am showing these two master works together just to emphasize how difficult
it is to try and give interpretations when dealing with a genius.

Miguel

After a little research I discovered the following.

A reproduction of The Angelus (1857-59) By Jean-Francoise Millet hung on the wall of the school which Dali attended at the end of eight and proved to be an endless source of inspiration to him throughout his life.

Interesting?

I thought so. Another little discovery too, coming here.

Roger

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/3/2012 2:05:33 AM
I appreciate that, Roger. Delighted with your treat.

Quote:

Miguel,

Go check out my post at Pat's Christmas forum.

http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/post/897555/ALL-THINGS-CHRISTMAS-Please-share-your-Pictures-Family-Stories-Memories-and-Reci/40.aspx?latest=True#latestpost

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/4/2012 3:14:01 AM

DALI's EARLY WORKS
(II)

Salvador Dali - Bay of Cadaques (oil on canvas, 1925)

Salvador Dali - Study for 'Love is Sweeter than Honey' (oil on panel, 1926)

Salvador Dali - Portrait of a Woman (unfinished) (oil on panel, two components, 1926)

Salvador Dali - Portrait of Paul Elouard (oil on cardboard, 1929)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/4/2012 8:40:47 AM

Love is sweeter than honey.

Very complicated.

At that time Dali was establishing forms and ideas that would continue and develop later. I read that 'Honey is sweeter than blood' illustrates the relationship that the Catalan painter had with Pepin Bello and Federico García Lorca.

Wonderful technical work and of course "thought provoking".

Roger

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!