Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: The Surrealist Phenomenon - SALVADOR DALI
12/5/2012 10:51:14 AM
You are right on all accounts, Roger; I'm afraid Dali was all that and more. He was vain, self-conceited and an eccentric and would never shy from showing it, on the contrary, he would do his best to make the front page of newspapers and magazines through his rather comic attitudes.

There are important exceptions to this rule, however, in the works he did for a specific purpose: I am thinking of
The Discovery of America by Christopher Columbus adorning these pages, where symbols are more or less recognizable, or most of the extraordinary portraits he did either of special people like his father (also showcased here) or of some of the world's rich and famous, which we will begin to see pretty soon.

Hugs,

Miguel

Quote:

Myrna,

Dali claimed to have dreamed many of his images. He sometimes wanted to shock or make people guress. He had a strange mind, was very vain and loved personal attention.

From these things he had a lot of choices.

However, his ability to paint just what he wanted was evident.

Roger

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/6/2012 2:01:59 AM
I also agree on this one with you, Roger. It actually is one of my Dali's best favorites for this period (1921 - 1930).

P.S. Can it be it was his fearing that it would become too much a Picasso's that kept him from finishing it? Just trying to understand why

Quote:

Salvador Dali - Portrait of a Woman (unfinished) (oil on panel, two components, 1926)

This is interesting, being slightly cubist and has some Picasso feel about it. It doesn't suffer from it's unfinished state but does demonstrate Dali's need to experiment.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/8/2012 2:45:17 AM
Dear friends,

I am afraid that I will not be able to spend much time in this thread for a couple of days and as a consequence of it, my posts will only be short and sporadic during that time.

So to the point. Two early Dali's paintings have both amazed and delighted me. Pretty uncommon the two of them, they are nonetheless so elaborate that they must have taken a lot of time and effort to execute. They are so beautiful and plastic. Plus they are so completely different from each other.

Here they are:

Salvador Dali - Board of Demented Associations (Fireworks)
(oil on embossed tin,
circa 1931) (1)

Salvador Dali - Automatic Beginning of a Portrait of Gala (unfinished)
(oil on laminated panel, 1932)

(1)
The dedication reads: “Painted for Paul Eluard by his friend Salvador Dalí”.

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/8/2012 6:06:20 PM

The Gala Portraits
(I)

Dear friends, here is a cool portrait of Gala by Salvador Dali, painted circa 1932-33. Of unassuming appearance, lacking any complexity, it nonetheless is, in my opinion, a masterwork in its own right (and a delightful one at that).

Salvador Dali - Portrait of Gala (oil on panel, circa 1932-33)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/9/2012 12:13:43 PM

I agree Miguel.

With photo enhancement and computer generated images we are apt forget how special artistic handmade images are. To produce the strange effect with the luminous lighting is a clever and beautifully worked skill.

Unusual and special.

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!