Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Now, That's Italian!
4/6/2012 5:10:37 PM

Hello Friends,

Today we have a wonderful rustic Italian pasta dish! It can be dressed up or down with accompaniments to this tasty pasta.

Roasted Veggie Pasta

Ingredients

• 1/2 pound fresh asparagus
  • 4 red bell pepper, sliced
  • 1/2 pound crimini mushrooms, sliced
  • 20 cloves roasted garlic, chopped
  • 1 tomato, quartered
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 pound dry fettuccini noodles
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup tapenade

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare asparagus by trimming woody base and cutting diagonally into 4 inch pieces.
  2. In a roasting pan, combine asparagus, bell pepper, mushrooms, roasted garlic and tomato. Sprinkle with rosemary and oregano, then drizzle with olive oil. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
  3. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. Toss with Parmesan cheese, tapenade and roasted vegetables. Serves 6.

Have A Safe & Happy Easter,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/9/2012 11:49:13 PM
Hello Friends,

This dish has a nice flavor and is fairly easy to make. Ham, asparagus spears, mozzarella and a wonderful garlic and thyme white sauce make this lasagna different than any you have ever tasted.

Asparagus Lasagna

Ingredients

• 7-1/2 wide lasagna noodles
  • 3 tablespoons margarine
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2-1/4 cups milk
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1-1/2 (15 ounce) cans asparagus, drained
  • 1-1/2 cups julienned fully cooked ham
  • 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente. Drain, and cut noodles in half crosswise.
  2. Melt margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic just until fragrant. Stir in the flour until no lumps remain. Gradually mix in milk, and season with thyme. Simmer sauce gently until thick. Remove from heat.
  3. Grease a 9x9 inch glass baking dish. Layer noodles, sauce, asparagus, ham, and mozzarella cheese in three layers, each starting with noodles, and ending with shredded cheese on the top.
  4. Cover the dish, and cook in the microwave on HIGH for 9 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Time may vary depending on the oven used. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Serves 6.

Have A Great Day My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/20/2012 7:56:46 PM

Hello Friends,

This is a wonderful chicken recipe that kids and adults love. To make ahead of time, leave off the cheese and refrigerate. Then bake for 20 minutes to heat, add the cheese and bake for 10 more minutes.

Baked Spaghetti with Chicken

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
  • 8 fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 pound uncooked spaghetti
  • 5 ounces shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1 (16 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce

Directions

1. In shallow non-aluminum dish or resealable plastic bag, combine olive oil, bay leaves, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, and pepper. Poke holes in chicken breasts and add to olive oil mixture. Marinate in refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
  2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Remove chicken from refrigerator and cut into half-inch pieces. Cook in large skillet, with marinade, until chicken is light brown and sauce is bubbly. Remove bay leaves. Stir pepper, onion, broccoli, and mushrooms into skillet and allow to simmer until tender, about 5 minutes.
  3. While vegetables are cooking, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. Return pasta to pot and add chicken mixture and spaghetti sauce. Stir. Pour mixture into 9x13 inch pan. Top with shredded cheese.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve. Serves 6-8.

Fresh tomatoes combine with cucumber, fresh basil, and feta for this simple and refreshing salad full of flavor.

Tomato, Basil, and Feta Salad

Ingredients

• 9 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
  • 1-1/2 small cucumber - peeled, quartered lengthwise, and chopped
  • 4-1/2 green onions, chopped
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
  • 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon crumbled feta cheese
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions

In a large bowl, toss together the tomatoes, cucumber, green onions, basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and feta cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Serves 6.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/23/2012 7:09:38 PM
the recipes you've posted phil all look so good. thanks for keeping us informed about healthy eating

pat

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/25/2012 1:08:42 AM

Hi Pat,

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the great comments. Seems like there's fewer and fewer of us "regulars" left these days.

Need a time saver? Make these breadcrumbs ahead and store them in a sealed container. Also, you can just snap rather than cut the asparagus into 2-inch pieces. Serve this delicious dish along with a simple Classic Caesar Salad.

Penne with Asparagus, Olives & Parmigiano Breadcrumbs

Kosher salt
5 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil; more for drizzling
1 cup coarse fresh white breadcrumbs (from about 4 slices of bread, crusts removed)
1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/2 lb. penne rigate
1 lb. medium asparagus, woody ends snapped off, cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces
1 medium clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pitted Kalamata olives (about 20)
Finely grated zest of 1 medium lemon (about 1-1/2 Tbs. loosely packed)
Freshly ground black pepper

Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil.

In a 12-inch skillet, heat 3 Tbs. of the oil over medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and cook, stirring occasionally, until they’re crispy and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the Parmigiano and a pinch of salt. Wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel.

Cook the pasta in the boiling water until al dente. Reserve a few tablespoons of the cooking water and drain the pasta.

Heat 1 Tbs. of the oil over medium-high heat in the skillet. Add the asparagus and cook, stirring frequently, until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Lower the heat to medium low and push the asparagus to the side. Add the remaining 1 Tbs. oil and the garlic and cook, gently mashing with the tip of a wooden spoon or spatula until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Toss the garlic with the asparagus. Remove from the heat.

Stir in the olives and lemon zest, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the pasta to the skillet, stirring to blend. Add enough reserved cooking water to slightly moisten, as needed, and drizzle with olive oil to enrich. Serve garnished with the breadcrumbs. Serves 4.

There are several stories about the creation of this iconic salad. But whatever its true origins, making one at home is as simple as shopping for the best ingredients and making your own homemade croutons and dressing.

Classic Caesar Salad

For the dressing
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 oil-packed anchovies
4 large cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
1 large egg yolk
2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated (1/2 cup)
Tip: Note: This recipe contains a raw egg. If that’s a concern, use a pasteurized egg.
For the salad
2-3/4 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 large head romaine lettuce (about 1 lb., 6 oz.), trimmed, quartered lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1- to 1-1/2 -inch strips (12 to 13 cups), washed and dried
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 recipe Garlic-Butter Croutons

Make the dressing

In a liquid measuring cup, combine the canola and olive oils. Put the remaining dressing ingredients except the Parmigiano in a blender and blend until thoroughly combined. With the motor running on medium high, carefully pour in the oils in a slow, steady stream. The dressing will emulsify as soon as all of the oil is incorporated. Stop the motor, add the Parmigiano, and quickly blend to combine. (You can store the dressing, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.)

Make the salad

Cut the Parmigiano into small cubes and pulse it in a small food processor until coarsely grated to the consistency of large pieces of sand (not too fine). Alternatively, grate the cheese on the small round holes of a box grater.

Put the lettuce in a large salad bowl. Drizzle a scant 1/3 cup of the dressing over the lettuce and toss well. Taste and add more dressing if necessary, a teaspoon or so at a time, until the leaves are nicely dressed. Add 1/4 cup of the Parmigiano and toss well. Taste a leaf and add more cheese if you like or pass more at the table. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the croutons, toss well, and serve. Serves 4-6.

Have A Terrific Tuesday,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!