Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Now, That's Italian!
3/31/2012 11:03:32 PM
Hi Phil,

Now that I posted I am getting your Italian, I am so glad too.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/1/2012 11:43:22 PM

Hello Again Myrna,

Hope you all like this as well. Penne is baked with asparagus, brocoli, bell pepper, prosciutto, sun-dried tomatoes, and Parmesan cheese for a colorful flavorful dish. Add the tasty Salad below and some fresh made Crusty Italian bread for a complete meal.

Penne Pasta with Veggies

Ingredients

• 10 ounces penne pasta
  • 1 tablespoon and 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
  • 5 ounces asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons fresh broccoli florets
  • 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons chopped red bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons chopped zucchini
  • 1/3 cup and 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon and 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 3 ounces prosciutto, diced
  • 1 cup and 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
  • 5 ounces grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. Toss with olive oil.
  3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, roast asparagus, broccoli, bell pepper and zucchini until flecked with dark brown. Set aside.
  4. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Saute garlic with prosciutto and sun-dried tomatoes until heated through. Toss with penne, roasted vegetables and Parmesan. Place in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  5. Bake in preheated oven 30 to 40 minutes, until hot. Serves 6.

A marinated artichoke dressing and two types of olives are the highlight of this zesty romaine lettuce salad.

Spicy Italian Salad

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1/3 cup tarragon vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (8 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
  • 5 cups romaine lettuce - rinsed, dried, and chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • 1 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup black olives
  • 1/4 cup pitted green olives
  • 1/2 cucumber, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
  • ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. In a medium container with a lid, mix canola oil, tarragon vinegar, sugar, thyme, dry mustard, and garlic. Cover, and shake until well blended. Place artichoke hearts into the mixture, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator 4 hours, or overnight.
  2. In a large bowl, toss together lettuce, red bell pepper, carrot, red onion, black olives, green olives, cucumber, and Romano cheese. Season with pepper. Pour in the artichoke and marinade mixture, and toss to coat. Serves 6.

Have A Wonderful Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/2/2012 7:53:57 PM

Hello My Friends,

This evening we're trying a little something different. As we all know, the pungent tanginess of a well-made Caesar salad is a restaurant staple. In this pizza, the grilled crust stands in for the croutons and the Parmigiano-Reggiano melts into the chicken for a more intense Caesar experience, one that Brutus would never betray. You can use store-bought pizza dough or make your own.

Chicken Caesar Pizza

1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 12 oz.) or 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup uncooked grits or polenta, for rolling the dough
1 8-oz. ball prepared pizza dough, at room temperature
1/2 cup Roasted Garlic Paste
1-1/4 cups grated Fontina cheese
1 heart of romaine, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide ribbons
2 Tbs. homemade or store-bought Caesar salad dressing
2 Tbs. freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

If you’re not using leftover chicken, preheat the grill per the master instructions below.

Brush the chicken breast with 1 Tbs. of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the chicken on the cooking grate directly over the heat and grill until no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside and, when almost ready to use, cut into 14-inch-thick strips.

Roll out and shape the dough, then grill the first side of the crust per the master instructions below. Use tongs to transfer it from the grill to a peel or rimless baking sheet. Flip the crust to reveal the grilled side.

Spread the entire surface with the garlic paste, then top with the chicken and sprinkle with the Fontina.

Finish grilling the pizza per the master instructions below.

Just before the pizza is done, toss the romaine with the dressing and 1 Tbs. of the Parmigiano in a medium bowl. Remove the pizza from the grill and immediately top with dressed romaine. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 Tbs. Parmigiano and season with salt and pepper. Slice and serve immediately. A perfect meal for two or Appetizers for four.

Directions for grilling pizza

For Gas Grills

• Heat the grill by setting all the burners on high. After lighting, close the lid and leave on high for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat of all the burners to medium.
  • Pick up the oiled dough by the two corners closest to you. In one motion, lay it down flat on the cooking grate from back to front (as you would set a tablecloth down on a table). Close the lid and grill for 3 minutes (no peeking!), then check the crust and, if necessary, continue grilling a few more minutes until the bottom is well marked and nicely browned.
  • Use tongs to transfer the crust from the grill to a peel or rimless baking sheet. Close the lid of the grill. Flip the crust to reveal the grilled side. Follow the specific recipe directions for adding any sauce, toppings, and/or cheese.
  • Switch the grill to indirect heat by turning off the center burner(s) if you have a three- or four-burner grill. For a two-burner grill, turn off one burner.
  • Set the pizza back on the grate over indirect heat (the unlit section) and grill, with the lid down, until the bottom is well browned and the cheese is melted, 7 to 10 minutes. For two-burner grills, rotate the pizza halfway through the cooking time.
  • Remove from the grill, garnish, and season as directed. Slice and serve immediately.

For Charcoal Grills

• Build a fire by lighting 50 to 60 charcoal briquettes in either a chimney starter or in a pyramid-shaped mound on the bottom grate of your grill. Once the briquettes have become gray-ashed (20 to 30 minutes or 450°F inside the grill), move them all to one side of the grill.
  • Pick up the oiled dough by the two corners closest to you. In one motion, lay it down flat—over the side without briquettes—on the cooking grate from back to front (as you would set a tablecloth down on a table). Close the lid and grill for 3 minutes (no peeking!), then rotate the crust 180 degrees and continue grilling until the bottom is well marked and evenly browned, another 2 to 3 minutes.
  • Use tongs to transfer the crust from the grill to a peel or rimless baking sheet. Close the lid of the grill. Flip the crust to reveal the grilled side. Follow the specific recipe directions for adding any sauce, toppings, and/or cheese.
  • Set the pizza back on the grate over the side without briquettes and grill, with the lid down, for 4 to 5 minutes. Rotate the pizza 180 degrees and continue to grill with the lid down until the bottom is well browned and cheese is melted, another 4 to 5 minutes.
  • Remove from the grill, garnish, and season as directed. Slice and serve immediately.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/3/2012 5:43:11 PM

Hello My Friends,

In this adaptation of the classic spaghetti aglio e olio (spaghetti with garlic and olive oil), green garlic replaces the traditional pungent cloves and lends a more delicate garlic flavor.

Spaghetti with Green Garlic and Olive Oil

Kosher salt
2 T bs. extra-virgin olive oil
2 oz. green garlic, green parts cut into 3-inch julienne strands, white parts thinly sliced
6 oz. thin spaghetti
2 T bs. freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano; more for serving
Freshly ground black pepper

Bring 3 quarts of well-salted water to a boil in a large pot over high heat.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a 10-inch straight-sided sauté pan over low heat. Add the green garlic and 2 big pinches of salt; stir to coat. Cover and cook, stirring frequently, until wilted and softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.

Boil the spaghetti until just al dente, about 1 minute less than package timing. Set aside about 1/2 cup of the cooking water and drain the pasta.

Return the sauté pan to low heat. Add the spaghetti and 1/4 cup of the cooking water; toss well. Add the Parmigiano and 2 Tbs. of the water; toss again. Season to taste with salt and pepper, adding the remaining water if the pasta seems dry. Serve in heated pasta bowls, sprinkled with additional Parmigiano. Just the right Dinner for two.

Perfect alongside pastas and soups, this easy garlic and cheese mixture adds just the right amount of flavor to artisan breads.

Garlic-Parmesan Bread

8 Tbs. (1/2 cup) salted butter, softened
1/4 cup lightly packed finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, very finely minced or grated on a rasp-style grater
1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium loaf artisan-style bread with a tight crumb (I like wide bâtard shapes, not baguettes)

Heat the oven to 425°F.

In a food processor or a large bowl, combine the butter, Parmigiano, oil, garlic, lemon zest, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Pulse a few times to blend but don’t overprocess or the butter might separate. If mixing by hand, mash together with a fork or a wooden spoon.

Slice the bread 1 inch thick, cutting almost but not all the way through the bottom crust, so it’s easy to pull apart. Spread a light, even coating of the butter mixture on both sides of each slice of bread. (You may not need all the butter; refrigerate any leftover for up to a week or freeze for up to three months.) Wrap the bread in foil and put the loaf on a baking sheet to catch any butter that runs out. Heat in the oven for about 15 minutes, then open the top of the foil to slightly crisp the top of the loaf, about 5 more minutes. Serve while hot. Yields One Loaf.

Have A Fantastic Day,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/5/2012 5:26:55 PM

Hi Everyone,

Gremolata—a combination of lemon zest, garlic, and parsley—adds a nice, fresh touch to this and many other dishes. Try sprinkling it on a creamy pasta, risotto, grilled shrimp, sautéed spinach, or steamed green beans.

Linguine with Hot Chile, Caramelized Onion & Gremolata

2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, very thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Kosher salt
1 serrano or other fresh small, hot red or green chile, seeded and finely diced
4 oz. (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into about 5 pieces
3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
1 lb. dried linguine
1/3 cup roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp. finely chopped lemon zest
1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano; more for sprinkling

Tip: Instead of grating the lemon for the gremolata, use a zester and then finely chop the long strips of zest with a chef’s knife. This zest is a little chunkier and easier to sprinkle.

Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and red pepper flakes, season with a big pinch of kosher salt, and cook, stirring frequently, until tender and nicely browned, about 15 minutes (reduce the heat to medium low if the onion is browning too fast). Add the chile and continue to cook for 1 minute. Turn off the heat, add the butter, and swirl the pan to melt. Add the lemon juice and another pinch of kosher salt. Keep warm.

Cook the linguine in the boiling water until al dente, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the gremolata: Combine the parsley, garlic, and lemon zest on a cutting board and chop them together with a chef’s knife until the parsley is finely chopped and mixed well with the lemon and garlic.

Drain the pasta and return it to its cooking pot. Over medium heat, add the onion mixture to the pasta and toss to combine. Add the 1/2 cup Pecorino, quickly toss again, and add salt to taste. Transfer the pasta to a platter or shallow bowls. Sprinkle liberally with the gremolata and more Pecorino and serve. Serves 4-6.

Have A Terrific Week,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!