Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Now, That's Italian!
4/26/2012 10:23:35 PM

Hello My Friends,

Grill a veggie-rich chicken dinner. A grill basket is your secret helper.

Grilled Italian Chicken and Veggies

3- to 3 1/2-pound cut-up broiler-fryer chicken, skin removed if desired
3/4
cup zesty Italian dressing
1/2
teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
medium orange bell pepper, cut into 8 pieces
medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 8 pieces
medium sweet onion (such as Bermuda, Maui, Spanish or Walla Walla), cut into 16 thin wedges
medium plum (Roma) tomatoes, thinly sliced or coarsely chopped
1/4
cup chopped fresh basil leaves or parsley
  1. Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Place chicken in shallow pan. Drizzle with 1/2 cup of the dressing; turn to coat. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper.
  2. Mix bell peppers, onion, remaining 1/4 cup dressing and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl; toss to coat. Place vegetables in grill basket (grill “wok”), using slotted spoon; reserve dressing in bowl.
  3. Remove chicken from pan; reserve dressing in pan. Place chicken, skin sides up, on grill over medium heat. Cover and grill 40 to 50 minutes, turning occasionally and brushing with dressing remaining in shallow pan, until juice of chicken is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut. Add grill basket to grill during last 15 minutes of grilling; grill, shaking basket or stirring vegetables occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
  4. Add tomatoes, basil and grilled vegetables to bowl with dressing; toss to coat. Serve vegetables with chicken. Makes 4 servings.

Have A Terrific Thursday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/27/2012 2:54:18 AM
luscious dinner phil !!!!

our gas grill bit the dust last year so i will have to wait to make your italian grilled supper till we get one.
we do have a george foreman one though, maybe i can grill the chicken and veggies per your recipe using that grill.

anywya, thank you.

pat

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/27/2012 9:25:41 PM

Hi Pat,

I grill my Perdue Chicken Breasts all of the time on my George Foreman Grill since I like that there's no extra grease, however, the Veggies just wouldn't be quite the same. Of course, you can still add an Italian flavor to any evening meal even without a grill. Not much harder to make than plain meat loaf, this dressed-up version is nice enough for company.

Rolled Italian Meat Loaf

1 1/4
lb extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
3/4
lb bulk Italian sausage
egg
can (8 oz) pizza sauce
1/4
cup Progresso® Italian style bread crumbs
1/4
teaspoon pepper
cups shredded 6 cheese Italian cheese blend (8 oz)
cups loosely packed fresh spinach leaves
  1. Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, mix ground beef, sausage, egg, 1/2 cup of the pizza sauce, the bread crumbs and pepper.
  2. On foil, pat mixture to12x8-inch rectangle. Sprinkle evenly with cheese; gently press into meat. Top with spinach. Starting at short end, roll up tightly, using foil to start roll and tucking in spinach leaves; seal ends. Place seam side down in ungreased 12x8-inch (2 quart) glass baking dish.
  3. Bake 1 hour. Spread remaining pizza sauce over top. Bake 15 minutes longer or until thermometer inserted in meat loaf reads 160°F. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Makes 8 servings

Tip: Use foil to make rolling the meat loaf easier. Then, using the foil, transfer the meat loaf to the pan and bake on the foil to make cleanup quicker.

This was one of my mom's old recipes. Let's just say, you'll never look at peas the same way again...they are sooo good.

Italian Peas

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1-1/4 onion, chopped
  • 2-3/4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-1/4 pounds frozen green peas
  • 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon chicken stock
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic; cook about 5 minutes. Add frozen peas, and stir in stock. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, and cook until the peas are tender, about 10 minutes. Serves 6-8.

Have A Happy Friday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Nellie .

594 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
5/2/2012 10:29:13 PM
Hi Phil, I am reading your Italian recipes and will try them. I love Italian food. Happy May month! Nellie
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/3/2012 3:37:04 AM

Hello Nellie,

So good to see you here at the Forum my Friend. You know how much I love Good Food, and Italian is one of my favorites.

Add an Italian twist to that hamburger casserole tonight. Tomatoes, fettuccine noodles and lots of cheese create a one-dish dinner complete with veggies.

Italian Fettuccine Pie

1/2
lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
small onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
can (8 oz) stewed tomatoes, undrained
can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1/2
teaspoon Italian seasoning
oz uncooked fettuccine
eggs
tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
cup small-curd cottage cheese
cup Green Giant® Valley Fresh Steamers™ frozen chopped broccoli, thawed, or chopped fresh broccoli
1/4
cup grated Parmesan cheese
  1. Heat oven to 350°F. In 10-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce and Italian seasoning. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat. Cover; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. Meanwhile, cook and drain fettuccine as directed on package.
  3. In medium bowl, beat one of the eggs and the butter. Stir in fettuccine and mozzarella cheese. In ungreased 9-inch quiche dish or pie plate, spoon and press mixture evenly in bottom and up side of dish.
  4. In small bowl, mix cottage cheese and remaining egg; spread over fettuccine mixture in dish. Sprinkle with broccoli. Spoon beef mixture evenly over top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
  5. Bake uncovered about 30 minutes or until hot in center. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Makes 6 servings.
By the way, you can make these ahead and have a couple ready the next time Friends drop in to visit. Just wrap the unbaked pie tightly and label. Freeze no longer than 1 month. Then, about 2 hours 15 minutes before serving, heat oven to 400°F. Unwrap the pie and re-cover with foil. Bake about 2 hours or until hot in center. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Have A Wonderful Week My Friend,
Phil
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!