Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Now, That's Italian!
3/27/2012 3:46:48 AM

Hello My Friends,

I have made freezer meals for years now, and this is by far my most requested. In fact, I like to make several of these Italian pies at one time so we can have one every week for more than a month! With its lasagna-like flavor, this dish is very tasty when it's hot from the oven.

Sausage Spaghetti Pie

Ingredients

• 1 package (1 pound) spaghetti
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
  • 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
  • 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 2 pounds bulk pork sausage
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions

• Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain and place in a large bowl. Add eggs and Parmesan cheese. Transfer to three greased 9-in. pie plates; press mixture onto the bottom and up the sides to form a crust. Set aside.
  • In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and Italian seasoning. Spoon into the crusts.
  • In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in water and tomato paste. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until thickened. Spoon over sour cream mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella and cheddar cheeses.
  • Cover and freeze two pies for up to 1 month. Cover and bake third pie at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through.
  • To use frozen pies: Completely thaw in the refrigerator. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed. Yield: 3 pies, 18 servings, or 6 per pie.

Have A Terrific Evening My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/28/2012 9:34:21 PM

Hi Friends,

Today we have a delicious turkey and spinach lasagna with fat-free ricotta and whole-wheat lasagna noodles. Healthy & delicious!

Spinach and Turkey Lasagna

Ingredients

• 9 whole-wheat lasagna noodles
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 pound ground turkey breast
  • 3 cups tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 3 tablespoons Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 6 cups chopped fresh spinach
  • 2 cups fat-free ricotta cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water.
  3. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 2 minutes. Add ground turkey and cook 5 to 7 minutes more, stirring to break up any large chunks of meat. Stir in tomato sauce, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, black pepper, and garlic powder. Simmer for 2 minutes and season to taste.
  4. Combine spinach, ricotta, and nutmeg in a large bowl.
  5. To assemble, arrange 3 noodles lengthwise in the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Spread with 1/3 the ricotta mixture, 1/3 of the turkey mixture, and 1/3 of the mozzarella. Repeat layers, ending with remaining mozzarella. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving. Serves 8.

Have A Great Evening,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/29/2012 4:08:56 PM
HI Phil,

I wonder why I never got this site, but am glad I found it now. I love Italian food, so keep them a coming.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/30/2012 8:43:36 PM

Hi Myrna,

Not quite sure why you hadn't seen it, but I just refreshed it and sent another Invite to my Friends list, so hopefully everyone will get the notice this time around.

Today we have a simple recipe with a spicy kick for garlic lovers. It is my combination of a much loved linguine and clam sauce dish and a recent introduction to orzo pasta. I have several variations for this recipe. Add more red pepper for extra spice. Substitute the chicken for clams or shrimp. Substitute the spinach leaves for diced tomatoes. I've also added spices such as basil, rosemary and oregano bringing a distinct Italian flavor to the dish. By the way,
Miracle Noodles also has an Orzo variety which is quite good, if you'd like to try them.

Garlic Chicken with Orzo Noodles

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite-size pieces
  • salt to taste
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
  • grated Parmesan cheese for topping

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add orzo pasta, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
  2. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the garlic and red pepper 1 minute, until garlic is golden brown. Stir in chicken, season with salt, and cook 2 to 5 minutes, until lightly browned and juices run clear. Reduce heat to medium, and mix in the parsley and cooked orzo. Place spinach in the skillet. Continue cooking 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until spinach is wilted. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese. Serves 6.

These cheesy, garlicky, puff pastry knots are the perfect complement to most any entree.

Garlic Knots

Ingredients

• 2 egg
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • All-purpose flour
  • 1 (17.3 ounce) package Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry Sheets, thawed
  • 1/4 cup minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend

Directions

1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Beat the egg and water in a small bowl with a fork.
  2. Sprinkle the flour on the work surface. Unfold the pastry sheet on the work surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 10-inch square. Brush the bottom half of the pastry sheet with the egg mixture.
  3. Sprinkle half the garlic, parsley and cheese on the bottom half of the pastry sheet. Fold the pastry in half over the garlic mixture. Brush the pastry with the egg mixture. Sprinkle the remaining garlic, parsley and cheese on the pastry. Roll the pastry lightly with a rolling pin. Cut the pastry into20 (about 1/2-inch-wide) strips. Tie each strip into a "knot". Place the pastries onto 2 baking sheets.
  4. Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastries are golden brown. Let the pastries cool on the baking sheets on wire racks for 10 minutes. Yields 20 Servings.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/31/2012 10:43:34 PM

Hello My Friends,

If you usually think of arugula as salad, think again. The bright, peppery green brings vibrancy and freshness to this otherwise rich pasta. Hot Italian sausage will make this dish spicy; for less heat, use sweet sausage if you prefer.

Fresh Tagliatelle with Sausage, Red Peppers, and Arugula

Kosher salt
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
8 oz. hot or sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
1 13-oz. jar roasted red peppers, drained and finely chopped (1-3/4 cups)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 10-oz. package fresh tagliatelle or fettuccine
4 cups loosely packed baby arugula (about 2-1/2 oz.)
3/4 oz. (1/2 cup) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
8 large fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper

Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil over high heat.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Break the sausage into bite-size pieces and add them to the skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 4 minutes. Pour off all but 1 Tbs. of the fat and return the skillet to medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the peppers and cream and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently until the sauce is slightly thickened, 8 minutes.

Cook the pasta in the boiling water according to package instructions. Drain well and transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the sauce, arugula, cheese, and basil (if using) and toss with tongs until the arugula is slightly wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve. Serves 4.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!