Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
RE: It's No Secret
8/16/2011 12:54:59 AM

Good evening Phil and friends. I have cetainly enjoyed listening to these songs. To me the old hymns had more of a reverence than most of the newer songs popular today. I guess that is the reason I like the old ones best, like this one. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImCeV1OXV84&feature=related

+0
Amanda Martin-Shaver

2587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/16/2011 2:57:33 AM
Hello Phil and friends,

I happened to see this forum and was very intrigued as I have heard of It's no Secret that Jim Reeves sang and This ole House which I have heard played faster and I also have this piece of music and have played it myself but did not realise that it was a hymn.

I had never heard of Stuart Hamblin or his testimony (even though I reckon his name is on my music but did not mean a thing to me) This has made such a difference to see old videos of him when he was young and older and hear him sing them originally.

I also enjoyed hearing Brooks and Dunn's I believe again as this is a wonderful song, one of many of theirs.

When I started listening to Country music properly - I joined Line Dancing back in the 90s as it was a big thing in NZ at that time and Country has good beat to dance to. I learned many of the words to the songs as I danced as country is music that you can actually hear the words the singer is singing. Now Country is pretty much all I listen too and there are so many wonderful inspiring and uplifting songs.

Amanda
+0
Amanda Martin-Shaver

2587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/16/2011 3:10:25 AM
Hi Jim,

Thanks for sharing this video. This was one of my favourite songs as a teenager cause I liked the beat - yet I am quite astounded because even though I heard the words and I reckon I more than likely sang along with the song, I never really heard 'who' or what the song was about!

I met the Lord Jesus Christ when I was 33 years old after attending church all my life yet I never heard or knew the significance of Jesus! This forum has been quite a enlightenment for me as I have heard many of these golden oldies. It shows me that even when I was blind and deaf the Holy Spirit can still open ones ears and eyes..

Amanda
+0
Amanda Martin-Shaver

2587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/16/2011 3:38:34 AM
Hi all - again..

Evelyn I was listening to one of your youtube videos that actually took me over to youtube site and while I was there I looked for one of New Zealand's famous entertainers Sir Howard Morrison who the audience just loved to hear him sing 'How Great Thou Art' I could not find a good quality of his early performances and found probably his last on his birthday in 2009 as he has passed away - such sadness for me as I had not heard and I just really liked Howard as he was not only a great singer but a very humourous entertainer in his hay day.
I also kind of got a shock to see how he had aged since I saw him on TV last, but I reckon we are all aging and don't necessarily notice on ourselves..

I hope you guys enjoy one of his last performances as he also sings in Maori, then the back up singers come in to sing a Popular Maori Goodnight song then some in the audience sings and performs actions songs with a Haka at the end.

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/16/2011 4:33:36 PM

Hi Mary Evelyn,

Yes, there is a certain reverence about the old Gospel Hymns, and I agree with you that they speak to a deeper need to be alone with God in our hearts and to Thank Him for all of His many Blessings in our lives. Thank You for the song by David Phelps, Guy Penrod, and the Gaither Vocal Band. I love all of the songs that the Gaithers have done, but one of my special favorites also features Guy Penrod, and it asks the question that I often ask myself whenever I think about all of God's Blessings in my own life, Why Me Lord?

According to country music historian Bill Malone, Kris Kristofferson originally wrote this song during an emotionally low period of his life after having attended a religious service conducted by the Rev. Jimmie Rogers Snow. Wrote Malone, "Although 'Why Me, Lord'" - as the song is sometimes known - "may seem greatly out of character for Kristofferson, it can be interpreted as his own personal religious rephrasing of 'Sunday Morning Coming Down.' In this case, he is 'coming down' not only from alcohol and drugs, but from the whole hedonistic euphoria of the (1960s)." After all of the mistakes and excesses which I have had in my life over the years, I too must always ask myself, Why Me?, whenever I think of all of the Blessings that God has bestowed upon me.

As I said, I like all of the songs that the Gaithers have performed over the years and not all of them have been Reverent Hymns. Another favorite of mine, sung here by the Gaither Vocal Band and the Signature Sound Quartet, Swing Down Chariot, just makes me want to jump up on my feet and clap my hands to the beat.

Thanks Again my Friend for sharing this Music with us and for all of your wonderful Comments.

Have A Blessed Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!