Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
RE: It's No Secret
8/18/2011 1:06:44 AM

Phil I never knew, until I read it here, that Kris Kristofferson wrote the song "Why Me Lord". I knew he had written several songs and that he led a troubled life for a while. Thanks for sharing this and yes there are a lot of really good toe tapping Christian songs and this one, "Swing Down, Chariot" is a good example. :) Hope you're having a wonderful evening.

Quote:

Hi Mary Evelyn,

Yes, there is a certain reverence about the old Gospel Hymns, and I agree with you that they speak to a deeper need to be alone with God in our hearts and to Thank Him for all of His many Blessings in our lives. Thank You for the song by David Phelps, Guy Penrod, and the Gaither Vocal Band. I love all of the songs that the Gaithers have done, but one of my special favorites also features Guy Penrod, and it asks the question that I often ask myself whenever I think about all of God's Blessings in my own life, Why Me Lord?

According to country music historian Bill Malone, Kris Kristofferson originally wrote this song during an emotionally low period of his life after having attended a religious service conducted by the Rev. Jimmie Rogers Snow. Wrote Malone, "Although 'Why Me, Lord'" - as the song is sometimes known - "may seem greatly out of character for Kristofferson, it can be interpreted as his own personal religious rephrasing of 'Sunday Morning Coming Down.' In this case, he is 'coming down' not only from alcohol and drugs, but from the whole hedonistic euphoria of the (1960s)." After all of the mistakes and excesses which I have had in my life over the years, I too must always ask myself, Why Me?, whenever I think of all of the Blessings that God has bestowed upon me.

As I said, I like all of the songs that the Gaithers have performed over the years and not all of them have been Reverent Hymns. Another favorite of mine, sung here by the Gaither Vocal Band and the Signature Sound Quartet, Swing Down Chariot, just makes me want to jump up on my feet and clap my hands to the beat.

Thanks Again my Friend for sharing this Music with us and for all of your wonderful Comments.

Have A Blessed Week,

Phil

+0
8/18/2011 2:30:56 AM

Phil and friends, here's one of my favorites, not an oldie but still good - "I can only imagine" and was written by Bart Millard in 1999 from what I could find out. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfSpsoIdWBM&feature=related

+0
8/28/2011 4:55:45 PM

Happy Sunday Phil, hope your day is going great. Here is an absolutely beautiful rendition of The Lord's Prayer by Andrea Bocelli as he joins the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in Salt Lake City, Utah. I found it very moving and thought I would share it. Hard to believe Andrea is blind isn't it? I read somewhere he was born with poor eyesight and has been completely blind since the age of 12 but he was certainly blessed with his beautiful singing voice. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAFj2-u2cGQ&feature=related

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/3/2011 7:01:13 PM

Hello My Friends,

Sorry that I've been away so long but I just wanted to stop back by to Thank You All for sharing some time with me and to say Thanks for sharing all of the Wonderful Gospel Hymns as well. I love to hear more anytime.

Here's another little story from my Friends over at the Deer Lake Newsletter that I thought you might like...

The Fishing Pole

Howard County Sheriff Jerry Marr got a disturbing call one Saturday afternoon a few months ago.

His 6-year-old grandson Mikey had been hit by a car while fishing in Greentown with his dad. The father and son were near a bridge by the Kokomo Reservoir when a woman lost control of her car, slid off the bridge and hit Mikey at a rate of about 50 mph.

Sheriff Marr had seen the results of accidents like this and feared the worst. When he got to Saint Joseph Hospital, he rushed through the emergency room to find Mikey conscious and in fairly good spirits.

Mikey, what happened?" Sheriff Marr asked.

Mikey replied, "Well, Papaw, I was fishin' with Dad, and some lady runned me over, I flew into a mud puddle, and broke my fishin' pole and I didn't get to catch no fish!"

As it turned out, the impact propelled Mikey about 500 feet, over a few trees and an embankment and into the middle of a mud puddle. His only injuries were to his right femur bone which had broken in two places.

Mikey had surgery to place pins in his leg. Otherwise the boy is fine. Since all the boy could talk about was that his fishing pole was broken, the Sheriff went out to Walmart and bought him a new one while he was in surgery so he could have it when he came out.

The next day the Sheriff sat with Mikey to keep him company in the hospital. Mikey was enjoying his new fishing pole and talked about when he could go fishing again as he cast into the trash can.

When they were alone, Mikey, just as matter-of-fact, said, "Papaw, did you know Jesus is real?"

"Well," the Sheriff replied, a little startled. "Yes, Jesus is real to all who believe in him and love him in their hearts."

"No," said Mikey. "I mean Jesus is REALLY real."

"What do you mean?" asked the Sheriff.

"I know he's real 'cause I saw him." said Mikey, still casting into the trash can.

"You did?" said the Sheriff.

"Yep," said Mikey. "When that lady runned me over and broke my fishing pole, Jesus caught me in his arms and laid me down in the mud puddle."

I asked the Lord to bless you
As I prayed for you today
To guide you and protect you
As you go along your way

His love is always with you
His promises are true
And when we give Him all our cares
You know He will see us through

So when the road you're traveling on
Seems difficult at best
Just remember I'm here praying
And
GOD WILL DO THE REST.

Just remember my Friends, whenever you're troubled, just lift your arms up to Heaven and say "Precious Lord, Take My Hand". He is always walking beside you.

May The Lord Bless You & KeepYou Dear Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
9/5/2011 1:49:36 AM

What a beautiful story Phil. Thanks for sharing.

You may have seen or heard of these young people, two sisters and their brother, who go by the name Daves Highway. They do a fantastic job of singing "It is well with my soul" without any musical back up. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWN2gKowEPs&NR=1

Quote:

Hello My Friends,

Sorry that I've been away so long but I just wanted to stop back by to Thank You All for sharing some time with me and to say Thanks for sharing all of the Wonderful Gospel Hymns as well. I love to hear more anytime.

Here's another little story from my Friends over at the Deer Lake Newsletter that I thought you might like...

The Fishing Pole

Howard County Sheriff Jerry Marr got a disturbing call one Saturday afternoon a few months ago.

His 6-year-old grandson Mikey had been hit by a car while fishing in Greentown with his dad. The father and son were near a bridge by the Kokomo Reservoir when a woman lost control of her car, slid off the bridge and hit Mikey at a rate of about 50 mph.

Sheriff Marr had seen the results of accidents like this and feared the worst. When he got to Saint Joseph Hospital, he rushed through the emergency room to find Mikey conscious and in fairly good spirits.

Mikey, what happened?" Sheriff Marr asked.

Mikey replied, "Well, Papaw, I was fishin' with Dad, and some lady runned me over, I flew into a mud puddle, and broke my fishin' pole and I didn't get to catch no fish!"

As it turned out, the impact propelled Mikey about 500 feet, over a few trees and an embankment and into the middle of a mud puddle. His only injuries were to his right femur bone which had broken in two places.

Mikey had surgery to place pins in his leg. Otherwise the boy is fine. Since all the boy could talk about was that his fishing pole was broken, the Sheriff went out to Walmart and bought him a new one while he was in surgery so he could have it when he came out.

The next day the Sheriff sat with Mikey to keep him company in the hospital. Mikey was enjoying his new fishing pole and talked about when he could go fishing again as he cast into the trash can.

When they were alone, Mikey, just as matter-of-fact, said, "Papaw, did you know Jesus is real?"

"Well," the Sheriff replied, a little startled. "Yes, Jesus is real to all who believe in him and love him in their hearts."

"No," said Mikey. "I mean Jesus is REALLY real."

"What do you mean?" asked the Sheriff.

"I know he's real 'cause I saw him." said Mikey, still casting into the trash can.

"You did?" said the Sheriff.

"Yep," said Mikey. "When that lady runned me over and broke my fishing pole, Jesus caught me in his arms and laid me down in the mud puddle."

I asked the Lord to bless you
As I prayed for you today
To guide you and protect you
As you go along your way

His love is always with you
His promises are true
And when we give Him all our cares
You know He will see us through

So when the road you're traveling on
Seems difficult at best
Just remember I'm here praying
And
GOD WILL DO THE REST.

Just remember my Friends, whenever you're troubled, just lift your arms up to Heaven and say "Precious Lord, Take My Hand". He is always walking beside you.

May The Lord Bless You & KeepYou Dear Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!