Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: THE EUROPEAN ROMANTICISM IN ART - CASPAR DAVID FRIEDRICH
5/9/2011 8:57:16 PM

Beautiful, Luis.

The first one is magnificent. The colours are glorious and the scale of the ruin is huge. I shall spend some time looking at that picture.

The second one is a real monochrome painting. I recently saw a letter from an artist asking if anyone else painted monochrome. Well here is an example and beautiful as well.

The third one is very powerful. It is mysterious and shows a masters hand. It is reminiscent of dutch paintings. Lovely.

Roger

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/10/2011 9:21:30 PM
Quote:

Beautiful, Luis.

The first one is magnificent. The colours are glorious and the scale of the ruin is huge. I shall spend some time looking at that picture.

The second one is a real monochrome painting. I recently saw a letter from an artist asking if anyone else painted monochrome. Well here is an example and beautiful as well.

The third one is very powerful. It is mysterious and shows a masters hand. It is reminiscent of dutch paintings. Lovely.

Roger

Roger, I don't think there is anyone in the whole world who can write in just a few lines a better comment about the three paintings as you just have. Thank you so much.

Luis Miguel G.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/10/2011 9:38:23 PM
Another subject most dear to Caspar David Friedrich was the presence of ships in a harbor. Here are two beautiful samples of his love for this topic. Don't forget to click on the images to enlarge them.

Caspar David Friedrich - View of a Harbor (1815-16, oil on canvas)

Caspar David Friedrich - View of a Harbor (1818-20, oil on canvas)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/11/2011 9:21:15 PM
Here is the same topic addressed with great finesse but only as the background in one of Friedrich's most famous allegorical masterpieces: The Stages of Life, painted just five years before the artist's death.
"The painting is set on a sea shore and shows in the foreground an aged man with his back turned to the viewer, walking towards two adults and two children on a hilltop overlooking a harbour[1]. The figures are echoed by five ships shown in the harbour, each at a different distance from the shore, an allegorical reference to the different stages of human life, to the end of a journey, to the closeness of death." (Wikipedia)
(click to enlarge)
Caspar David Friedrich - The Stages of Life (1835, oil on canvas)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/11/2011 11:37:43 PM

Luis,

This is very different.

With this image I struggle to gather the scale of the figures and the ships. I think that he is playing with us here as his other work has great persective.

Roger

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!