Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: THE EUROPEAN ROMANTICISM IN ART - CASPAR DAVID FRIEDRICH
4/29/2011 8:25:38 AM

Oh my,

More wonders.

I can actually smell the sea on the beach scene.

I like his use of the yellow sienna type colours. They lift the whole painting. These are so much of their time. The dress and the style.

Beautiful.

Roger

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/30/2011 10:43:14 AM
Quote:

Oh my,

More wonders.

I can actually smell the sea on the beach scene.

I like his use of the yellow sienna type colours. They lift the whole painting. These are so much of their time. The dress and the style.

Beautiful.

Roger

Welcome back Roger, and thank you so much for your comments. After reading them, I too seemed to smell the sea on the beach scene.

Cheers,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/3/2011 10:55:00 AM
Dear Friends,

There is another feature of Caspar David Friedrich's paintings that so far I have not mentioned here: their propensity to "
characteristically set a human presence in diminished perspective amid expansive landscapes, reducing the figures to a scale that, according to the art historian Christopher John Murray, directs "the viewer's gaze towards their metaphysical dimension"." (Wikipedia)

Well, I guess nowhere does this diminished perspective appear more conspicuously than in Friedrich's below masterpiece,
The Chasseur in the Forest of 1814. Here I am showing it fairly enlarged so that such a special characteristic can be more readily
appreciated, but if you wish you may click on it to view it in an even bigger size.

Caspar David Friedrich - The Chasseur in the Forest (oil on canvas, 1814)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/3/2011 8:17:49 PM
Quote:
Dear Friends,

There is another feature of Caspar David Friedrich's paintings that so far I have not mentioned here: their propensity to "
characteristically set a human presence in diminished perspective amid expansive landscapes, reducing the figures to a scale that, according to the art historian Christopher John Murray, directs "the viewer's gaze towards their metaphysical dimension"." (Wikipedia)

Well, I guess nowhere does this diminished perspective appear more conspicuously than in Friedrich's below masterpiece,
The Chasseur in the Forest of 1814. Here I am showing it fairly enlarged so that such a special characteristic can be more readily
appreciated, but if you wish you may click on it to view it in an even bigger size.

Caspar David Friedrich - The Chasseur in the Forest (oil on canvas, 1814)

This is wonderful and the point that you make about the human figure is very relevant here. What I love about this painting is the angle that we are viewing from.

It feels like the experience one gets when, as a child, we climbed into a tree and nobody knows we are there. We view with interest what is going on or who passes by. That wonderment is evident here.

Most pictures viewed at this angle are views from hills or mountains. This feels so much more personal.

+0
Cheryl Baxter

2279 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/4/2011 8:23:15 AM
Hi Luis,

These pictures are amazing. What a great artist Caspar David Friedrich was. I love the view point that that each seems to have as they draw the observer into the painting.

In this forest scene however, the massive trees almost make me feel claustrophobic, they're so thick and pervasive. Now, I'm no longer an observer, but a participant in the scene. I wonder if anyone else felt that way while viewing this painting???

Art that can do that, is powerful, indeed!

Thanks for your excellent forum. My computer has been down again, for the 2nd time within the past month and this last time I was without it for about 4-5 days again. I hate that...but am thankful that I'm back up. I apologize for not getting here sooner Luis Miguel.

As always, you have the most incredible art forums.

Cheryl
http://texasgalswholesaleproperties.com "browse our current properties" http://fortworthwholesaleproperty.com "check out our real estate blog" http://mydiscountchristianbooks.com "online bibles, books, music, more"
+0