Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Share Your Ideas About Managing Arthritis
9/9/2010 8:09:23 AM
Quote:
Quote:

Hey, Roger, confession is good for the soul. Mind over matter you know. Drink your water. Drinking water in lieu of dieting would be my way to go. I have never been on a diet to loose weight as my mind and body would feel deprived to the point of over reacting and eating too much.

Thanks for hanging in here with us. We are all learning from each other.

Does anyone know if too many tomatoes, causing acid is a cause for inflamation? Tis the season for ripe, red, juicy tomatoes. I'll give the red away and eat the acid free yellow ones if need be.

Hello Mary and Roger - over in Pauline's forum she posted about drinking water after meals and if you do it should be either warm or room temperature, not ice water. I love ice water! Roger do you drink straight from faucet water or filtered? I know I cannot drink faucet water.

About the tomatoes, yes Mary I can attest to that one. If I eat too many, I will get sensitive red spots in corners of mouth. My Mama had the same problem and she loved tomatoes.

Thanks for all your good information.

Sara

HI Sara and Mary,

Firstly,

Yuck, don't like filtered, bottled, fizzy, straight from the faucet or even from a sacred spring.

BUT I DO DRINK IT. I realise it is a life need and millions would kill for it. (Don't like swimming either).

Tomatoes:

Tomatoes belong to the nightshade family of vegetables, which also includes potatoes and egg plant. These vegetables contain solanine, a chemical thought to aggravate rheumatoid arthritis symptoms in some people.

I am advised that tinned plum tomatoes are a little better as the canning reduces the solanine.

+0
Amanda Martin-Shaver

2587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/15/2010 5:27:34 PM
Hello Mary,

I see another good discussion taking place in here and have read all the threads.

I do not think I have arthritis per say but I do suffer from muscle pain from our vehicle accident nearly 5 years ago then a very bad fall from a horse just over 2 years ago'.

I did not get any medical help for the jarring to my body as I did not believe doctors could do anything for me other than prescribe pills. I have also been in far too much pain to go for chiropractic adjustment so my body has had to adjust and I learn to live with the limitations and pain.

Last month I found a Chinese Acupunturist Dr Kwan and decided I would give him a try - yet up until then I had been taught that one should not have acupuncture as it part of the occult, so I would not consider this practice.

Push came to shove for me and I went. Next day when I woke up my neck had more movement to turn than I had for several years and I also felt more limber to move around.
I could actually pull my trousers on without having to hold onto to something or lean to put one leg in then the other. I need to go back for another treatment. Dr Kwan did warn me that acupuncture is not a 'miracle' treatment and not everyone benefits to full 100% mobility. At least I feel better.

Quote:

People on diets always complain about having to eat the things they don't like. I'm the same with water, I HATE IT. I've tried carbonated and a touch of lemon, hard, soft, you name it. I STILL HATE IT.

Oh well, you can't do everything right.

I know it's good advice so don't let me dissuade you.

Roger

Oh I hear you Roger and agree, however, for the sake of my body, I have learned to 'choke' it down. I actually love boiled hot water and drink several cups per day especially one after my hot meal.

I love coffee, have done so for many years but realize that when I drink too much - often two pots all by myself during my waking hours. I feel more stiffer than usual, also my feet ankles and feet swell and become painful so I have made a pact with myself to cut down on the coffee and drink more hot water and even with green tea. I have not had a cup of coffee at all today and it is 1.30pm! *patting myself on the back* ! lol

Has anyone tried Green Fried Tomatoes? Back in NZ we would use green tomatoes for making chutney or some pickles but never thought of cooking them to eat. They are actually very tasty when rolled in bread crumbs and fried - when I have cooked them at home I have used little cooking oil but in the restaurant they are deep fried.

Amanda
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/15/2010 5:33:41 PM
Hi Mary. I'm very glad to see this information. My hubby Steve got his RIGHT knee hurt at the Portland, OR - VA Center (due to their Negligence). Now he may have a roaring case of arthritis. I want to read everything you can provide.

Thank you,
Pat

Quote:

Hi Adlanders, I came back here for some advice. I trust there are some people here who can contribute some ideas.

On my main business site, I intend to post a "Tip of the Day" so-----can you provide some ideas. I will even give you credit as I think I can link your profile here to the idea you give me. You can even tell me some things you have found that you try to avoid.

My first tip was to use tumeric, cayenne pepper and ginger as they are good for pain management and joint health.

Let's hear it from my Adlander friends. Not on my friends list, just invite me and I'll be right over.

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/16/2010 1:40:27 AM

Thanks to all the contributors here. This information is so important. There is nothing like personal experience. I've slowed down a little with getting suggestions in here but then look at of you contributing.

Glad to add Pat and Amanda to our discussion. Each One go get One and we will have a room full.

+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/17/2010 1:14:23 PM

When I was teaching, after the buses were all loaded I would reward myself with a popular candy bar out of the vending machine. It became a daily habit I looked forward to every afternoon. Finally, my body started screaming at bedtime with aching joints in elbows and knees. It happened so intensely that it even affected my sleep habits. It concerned me enough to begin to plan for a visit to a doctor for help. Luckily, I found a book about allergies which contained a list of foods to avoid. Having mild allergies to dust and mold I scanned the list. There it was---roasted nuts. My afternoon treat had roasted nuts. Eliminating my daily reward of googy chocolate with roasted nuts, meant the inflamation went down. Thank goodness I avoided a visit to a surgeon.

"In some people food allergies have been found to cause gout, thus gout relief may be gotten by stopping the food that is causing the allergy. Often one needs to go through a battery of allergy testing before finding out the one that is causing the allergic reaction". --Noel Benjamin De'Costa site devoted to Gout

How Do I Determine if I Have a Food Allergy?
Most doctors are not well versed in evaluating patients for food allergies. Skin testing is inadequate, and many blood tests are not thorough enough to discover a food allergy. The best way to determine if you have a food allergy is to have your blood tested for both IgE and IgG antibodies to a variety of foods. This is done with an ELISA Food Allergy Panel, which measures your immune response to approximately 100 different foods. To have this testing done please call 206-264-1111 to schedule an appointment . Center for Food Allergies

Today's tip on my site: Avoid foods to which you are allergic. Get a complete allergy test to determine foods that are causing you inflammation.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!