Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Share Your Ideas About Managing Arthritis
8/23/2010 11:24:38 PM

Hi Adlanders, I came back here for some advice. I trust there are some people here who can contribute some ideas.

On my main business site, I intend to post a "Tip of the Day" so-----can you provide some ideas. I will even give you credit as I think I can link your profile here to the idea you give me. You can even tell me some things you have found that you try to avoid.

My first tip was to use tumeric, cayenne pepper and ginger as they are good for pain management and joint health.

Let's hear it from my Adlander friends. Not on my friends list, just invite me and I'll be right over.

+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Share Your Ideas About Managing Arthritis
8/24/2010 4:50:04 AM
Hi Mary,
Good to see you back here. I'll be back with some thoughts about arthritis later on but wanted to say hi in the meantime.
Shalom,
Peter
Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/24/2010 12:31:24 PM

Hi everyone,

Today's tip was posted on my site. You can go there daily to gather new ideas. Just put

my site on your favorites list. You can also glean info by clicking around in the site. For good

reading info on the subject of managing arthritis, you might like to visit the book store on the

left side/bottom of the page.

Here's today's posted tip: Avoid white sugar and white flour.

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/24/2010 7:06:02 PM

Mary,

Wonderful to see you.

I am an arthritis sufferer. Some the result of earlier injuries and some through wear and tear.

Unfortunately for me I am not allowed anti-inflammatory drugs so the general medical methods aren't available.

I have tried everything. Devils Claw, turmeric, omega oils etc.

I'm convinced that Omega oils work, but it needs time to work and you must get the amount right for you.

Other than the oils I have had little success with alternative natural supplements or with herbs. In my case I have had few problems with foods. Many claim that coffee is bad. I drink gallons of it. I tried avoiding it and using decaffinated coffee. NO DIFFERENCE. But that's me.

I am a hypnotherapist and NLP practitioner (and I'm good at it). I have had good results with clients using hypnotherapy and some longer-term improvements using NLP.

I KNOW that a certain amount is in our mind. When you have been a long-term sufferer it is likely that you have learned to ignore a level of pain. I am not good at self-hypnosis so I do take regular pain-killers, but keep it to a minimum. At 5 pm I take a painkiller and can tell, almost to the minute when I need to take it. Does the pain get worse at 5 or does my mind say "time to take tablet"?

I also Know that STRESS definitely triggers the symptoms.

My advice is, excercise and keep as full a range of movement as is possible for as long as possible, even if you have to apply some pressure to do so.

I have one finger which now refuses to fold completely so I use my other hand to gently push it home.

Avoid stress and if you can't avoid it then find a way of de-stressing.

De-stressing is personal. It is not the same as meditation or relaxation. I can play with my grandchildren and have a noticeable reduction in pain. I can lie in bed at night with pain. I can cut a hedge and suffer no ill effects.

I teach people to control pain. It is possible to tell your body NOT TO FEEL THE PAIN.

That's enough from me.
Roger

+0
8/24/2010 11:05:37 PM
Quote:

Hi Adlanders, I came back here for some advice. I trust there are some people here who can contribute some ideas.

On my main business site, I intend to post a "Tip of the Day" so-----can you provide some ideas. I will even give you credit as I think I can link your profile here to the idea you give me. You can even tell me some things you have found that you try to avoid.

My first tip was to use tumeric, cayenne pepper and ginger as they are good for pain management and joint health.

Let's hear it from my Adlander friends. Not on my friends list, just invite me and I'll be right over.

Mary it is great to have you back active in Adland. This is an interesting subject because I believe in some way or other most of us are afflicted with arthritis.

I am not really sure why but for the last few years I have not suffered as I used to. Sometimes especially during winter, I had lots of problems with my left knee. Then if I bumped into something involving a joint, I would most definitely have the pain next day. I rarely have any problems now.

For one thing as Roger has stated a lot of it does relate to stress, I fully believe that. Another is that I have learned to cope with it, when I have a wrist, finger, knee that flares up, I use a menthol muscle rub and wrap it at night along with taking Ibuprophen. The mixture you describe of cayenne and ginger is a good combination. Cayenne is very useful for pain relief but care should be taken to wash your hands carefully before touching your face and eyes. Cayenne is also good for a toothache, apply a drop or two.

One thing that I had been doing for the last few years is drink lots of (KoolAid) the dry fruit mixes. I make it stronger than normal and do not add sugar. It is like drinking flavored water without the calories. Of course it is loaded with Vitamin C. Another benefit I have not had a cold in several years now. KNOCK ON WOOD AND THANK GOD!!!

The proper exercise is good and I prefer Yoga or a type of like stretching.

Okay, there you have my advice for today.

Will be interested in hearing of other treatments.

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!