Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: The Lady's Cheesy Mac
9/25/2010 6:40:51 PM

Donna,

Here is a recipe for CORNISH PASTY

Originally the cornish miners would through away the pastry and eat the content. Like a banana skin, the crust acted as a wrapper.

Here is a great Cornish Pasty recipe.

Sorry USA. English measurements.

Preparation time: 1-2 hours

Cooking time: 30 mins to 1 hour

Makes 1 large pasty

Ingredients

For the pastry
For the filling
  • 50g/2oz swede, finely chopped (Swede, turnip USA residents see later posting for explantion)

• 150g/5½oz potato, peeled and cut into cubes

• 50g/2oz onion, finely chopped

• 100g/3½oz rib-eye steak, cut into small pieces

• 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

• salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preparation method

1. For the pastry, pulse the flour, baking powder, salt, butter and egg yolk in a food processor until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

Technique: Rubbing in
  2. Gradually add the water, a tablespoon at a time, mixing continuously until the mixture just comes together as a dough. (You may not need to use all the water.) Roll the dough into a ball, then wrap it in cling film and chill in the fridge for an hour.

3. Meanwhile, for the filling, bring a pan of salted, boiling water to the boil. Add the chopped swede and potato and cook for 4-5 minutes, until tender, then drain well, refresh in cold water and set aside.

4. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.

5. Roll the chilled pastry out onto a clean, floured work surface. Cut a large disc from the pastry using a dinner plate as a template. Place the onions in a line down the middle of the pastry disc. Spoon the chopped steak on top, then spoon the cooked potato and swede over it. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

6. Brush the edge of the pastry disc with some of the beaten egg. Draw the edges of the pastry together and crimp them with your fingers to seal so that the seal sits on top of the filling. Using a knife, make a small hole in the top of the pasty and brush all over with the remaining beaten egg.

7. Place the pasty onto a baking tray and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden-brown.

+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/26/2010 3:43:59 AM

Thank you for the recipe for Cornish pasty, Roger. I have one question. What is swede?

We have eaten pasty twice on our trip and I really enjoyed it. Where we are visiting now they serve it with gravy but I am used to it served with ketchup.

DonnaZ

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/26/2010 8:45:32 AM
Quote:

Thank you for the recipe for Cornish pasty, Roger. I have one question. What is swede?

We have eaten pasty twice on our trip and I really enjoyed it. Where we are visiting now they serve it with gravy but I am used to it served with ketchup.

DonnaZ

Hi Donna,

I can't find what vegetable swede are called in America.

It is a sweet flavoured turnip with yellow flesh.

Description:

This an easy to grow swede which produces medium sized swedes with yellow flesh and with an excellent, mild, sweet flavour. The fine textured roots store well and they are absolutely delicious cooked and added to mashed potatoes, casseroles etc.

They originated in Sweden, hence the name. They are popular in Scotland too.

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/26/2010 8:53:37 AM

Donna,

I personally love them with a dark fruit sauce

Here is a hand-made Cornish Pasty

+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/26/2010 1:02:22 PM

Hi Roger,

Your Cornish pasties look just like the ones in the U.P. of Michigan, USA. Here some have rutabaga so I am wondering if that is similar to your swede or perhaps the same thing renamed.

I haven't seen fruit sauce like that.

Thanks for the pictures.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!