Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: The Lady's Cheesy Mac
9/26/2010 3:07:34 PM
Quote:

Hi Roger,

Your Cornish pasties look just like the ones in the U.P. of Michigan, USA. Here some have rutabaga so I am wondering if that is similar to your swede or perhaps the same thing renamed.

I haven't seen fruit sauce like that.

Thanks for the pictures.

That is the same thing. Rutabaga is apparently the same as swede.

The sauce (HP) is named after the Houses of Parliament.

Less is eaten now. It was a real World War II favourite here.

It is like a stong flavoured BBQ sauce. A little hotter.

Roger

+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/29/2010 5:09:42 AM

Thanks so much, Roger, very interesting as well as educational. I guess we Americans stole your pasty recipe when we started our own nation. Actually, the Scandanavians in the Midwest USA are the ones who made pasty here. They used it in their lunch pails. Many of them worked in the iron ore mines, including my father.

DonnaZ

+0
9/29/2010 3:14:10 PM

Donna and Roger, very interesting lesson there on pasty. Never knew that rutabagas came from Sweden. They are popular in the Southeastern states here I know. I love them, the taste is a little stronger than turnip roots and of course they are yellow/orange. Our local grocery won't order them because not many people in Burlington like them or even know what they are. We can get turnip roots, as they throw away the good part, the green tops.

Thank you,

Sara

+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/1/2010 1:20:01 AM

Sara,

I don't often see rutabaga here in Indiana but on our recent trip to Wisconsin and Michigan I saw them in the small grocery stores.

DonnaZ

+0
10/1/2010 6:29:19 PM

Donna, you have me wishing for some of those Rutabagas now. They way I cook them is cut them up (hardest part!), place in pan where you have sauteéd chopped onion and garlic with a little olive oil or preferrably as your Southern lady would use (a strip of bacon cut in pieces), add enough water to cover. Cook until real tender, then take out and mash. Ready to serve!

Now this recipe says Roasted Rutabaga

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!