Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
12/2/2015 9:11:55 PM
Hi Everyone,

As the chill winds of Winter begin to blow, this hearty soup goes great on those cold winter days. The sweet potatoes and carrots mellow the cabbage and make a smooth, comforting soup.

Budget-Friendly Hearty Winter Soup

Ingredients

• 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1 pound turkey bratwurst, sliced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 3 cups chicken broth

• Preparation

1. Place the sweet potatoes, cabbage, and carrots into a slow cooker, then place the bratwurst slices on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle with the salt, thyme, rosemary, and pepper. Pour the wine and chicken broth over the vegetables.

2. Cook on Low until the sweet potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, 5 to 6 hours. Serves 6.

Calories 251; Fat 7.2 g; Carbohydrate 29.7 g; Protein 14.8 g; Cholesterol 49 mg; Sodium 745 mg.

Have A Great Week,

Phil
    “There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
    +1
    12/2/2015 10:27:39 PM
    Sounds divine!
    +1
    Phillip Black

5931 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    12/2/2015 10:54:12 PM
    Hi Mary,

Great to see you here at the Forum. Glad that you liked the recipe.

Wishing You & Your Family A Merry Christmas

Phil
    “There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
    +1
    Phillip Black

5931 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    12/6/2015 7:49:48 PM
    Hello My Friends,

On these cold Winter evenings, there's nothing quite like a steaming, thick, rich bowl of stew to get things going smoothly. I love to cook stews and soups in the crock pot. Not only is it easy, but it’s a guaranteed way to make sure that I don’t burn it to the bottom of the pot – which I sometimes seem to do with just about everything. The other great thing about crock pots is that you can take just about any meat and make it deliciously tender in the crock pot. This stew is great. You can chop everything up and stick it in the crock pot the night before. Store the crock pot (covered) in the fridge for the night and then in the morning, all you have to do is put the pot into the crock pot base and turn it on. It’s a great one pot meal, with very few prep dishes. But, if you’re looking for a side dish, serve it with a fruit salad or relish tray of veggies. You can also add peas, green beans or any other vegetable you like to have in your stews. This stew is savory, rich and delicious – perfect for a simple and easy meal that warms you up on a cold winter day. Just add some homemade Cornbread for a complete meal.

Crock Pot Beef Stew

Ingredients

2 lb beef chuck roast
    4 medium russet potatoes (about 2 inches in diameter)
    4 medium carrots
    1 large onion
    4 cloves garlic
    8 cups beef broth
    4 medium stalks celery, chopped
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions

Cut the roast into 1 inch pieces.

Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.

Peel the carrots and chop them into equal chunks, about 1/2 inch thick.

Chop the onion into large pieces.

In a crock pot, combine the beef, carrots, potatoes, onion, garlic and beef broth.

Cook on low for 8 – 12 hours, or on high for 4-6 hours.

Approximately 20 minutes before serving, add the celery.

Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serves 8.

Have A Great Week,

Phil
    +1
    Phillip Black

5931 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    1/7/2016 6:00:43 PM
    Hello My Friends,

When you get a craving — especially if it's for beef and barley stew when snow clouds are building outside — it's best to just give in and make it. Stew is more of a technique than a recipe, so gather your ingredients and jump right into the kitchen. By late afternoon, you'll have one mouthwatering pot of stew.

Slow-Cooker Beef and Barley Stew with Mushrooms

Ingredients

Canola oil
    1 (2- to 3-pound) chuck or round beef roast, trimmed of fat and cut into bite-sized pieces
    Salt and pepper
    1 large onion, diced
    8 to 10 ounces medium whole white button or brown mushrooms, stems trimmed
    3 celery stalks, diced
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 cup red wine
    2 cups beef stock
    2 cups chicken stock
    1 cup pearl barley

Directions

Film the bottom of a large frying pan or skillet with canola oil and set over medium-high heat until the oil is hot. While the oil is heating, season the meat generously with salt and pepper.

Working in batches, add a single layer of meat to the bottom of the pan. Let it sit for 2 to 3 minutes until the cubes loosen and are seared golden-brown. Flip the cubes and sear the other sides. When all sides are seared, remove the meat to the insert of a slow cooker that holds at least 4 quarts. Sear the remaining meat in batches. If there is any liquid in the pot after the last batch is finished, pour it over the meat. Place the pan back on the stove.

Heat 1 teaspoon of canola oil in the pan and cook the onions with a pinch of salt until they are translucent and brown around the edges. Add the mushrooms and another pinch of salt, and cook until they have released all the moisture and have turned golden-brown. Add the celery and cook until just softened.

Clear a space in the middle of the vegetables and sauté the garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the thyme and bay leaf.

Pour the wine into the pot to deglaze, scraping up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon as the wine bubbles. Let the wine reduce down until most of it has evaporated or been absorbed by the vegetables. Transfer everything to the slow cooker.

Add both stocks to the slow cooker and top with enough water to cover the meat and veggies by about 1/2 inch. Cover and cook for 4 hours on low. Stir in the barley, cover again, and cook until the meat and barley are tender, about 2 hours more on low. Skim off any fat if desired, taste, and add salt and pepper as needed.

Recipes Notes:

Cooking the barley:
    If you will be out of the house and unable to add the barley 4 hours into the slow-cooking time, just boil the barley separately ahead of time in water until tender, about 45 minutes. The cooked barley can be stored in the refrigerator up to a day or two. Cook the beef for the full 6 hours on low, then add the cooked barley in and heat through before serving.

Stove top instructions: This recipe can be made on the stove top instead. Sear the meat in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot instead of the frying pan and transfer to a bowl or plate. Proceed with cooking the vegetables and deglazing in the same pot. Add the meat back into the pot, along with the stock and water. Bring to a boil, cover the pot, and let simmer for 1 hour. Add the barley and continue cooking for another 45 minutes, until both the barley and meat are tender. Serves 6-8.

Calories 425; Fat 10.9 g; Carbohydrates 31.6 g; Fiber 6.1 g; Sugar 3.8 g;
    Cholesterol 121.5 mg; Sodium 430.2 mg; Protein 49.8 g.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil
    +1

facebook
    Like us on Facebook!