Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
2/26/2010 4:40:34 PM

Hi Donna,

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for your Comments. I just sent you a PM with a Link for the AeroGardens. You had mentioned that you had gotten an Herb Kit and the AeroGardens make the Growing Experience quite simple, Green Thumb or not.

I do hope that this develops into a Good Forum Thread, with lots of folks sharing Recipes. Makes it seem more like a Community here at Adland, like it used to be.

I had promised Judy a Bean Medley Recipe, but I got to talking about White Chili in the other Thread, so how about a Crockpot White Chili instead. We'll save the Bean Medley for a little later.

A delicious chicken chili for the slow cooker, made with chicken, beans, and other ingredients.

Ingredients:

• 1 lb chicken, cut up into small chunks (I like to use boneless, skinless breasts for their "ease" and lower fat content)
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 can (or the equivalent) low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
  • 2 tsp Cumin seed (ground will not withstand long cooking as well)
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
  • 3 -15oz cans white beans (great northern or cannellini), drained and rinsed or (2) 16 oz Bags of Dried Beans (Soaked over night)
  • 1 or 2 chopped red, green or yellow bell peppers, or combination
  • jalapeno chili peppers, fresh, jarred or canned, optional or 'to taste' (depending on how much heat you like!)

Preparation:

In a 4 or 6 quart crockery cooker combine the chicken, onions, chicken broth, garlic, cumin and oregano.

Let cook awhile on low (approx. 3-5 hours, depending on your schedule)
Add drained beans.

Now here is the important part if you don't want mushy chili.. Add the bell peppers and jalapeno peppers (if using) no earlier than the last hour or hour and a half before serving.

Top each serving with shredded Monterey jack cheese and or broken tortilla chips if desired.

Have A Blessed & Blissful Friday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/26/2010 6:42:13 PM

Hello My Friends,

Since we seemed to be on a roll with the Chili earler today, let's go meatless, and try a Vegetarian Black Bean Chili in the Crockpot...

Crockpot Black Bean Chili
Crockpot black bean chili is made with apple juice and herbs for flavor.

Prep Time: 25 minutes - Cook Time: 8 hours

Ingredients:

• 2 cups water
  • 1 cup apple juice
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
  • 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • salt and black pepper to taste
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 (4 oz.) cans chopped green chilies, drained
  • 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 red bell peppers, chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1-1/2 cups low-fat shredded Cheddar cheese

Preparation:

Combine all ingredients except cilantro and cheese in 3-4 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Stir in cilantro just before serving. Serve with Cheddar cheese for topping. 6 servings

Have A Happy Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/26/2010 11:37:36 PM
I didn't chase chickens down, but I remember going to my Grandparents house on Sunday for dinner and my grandmother wrung a few necks and cooked the chickens for us. I was amazed at her plucking them after dipping in boiling water ...

I am glad to get mine from a store ! Ha ha ! I like to bake whole chickens, but my son only wants the chicken breast, so I do those or chicken tenders a lot. All white meat. To me the
dark meat tastes better, more moist.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/27/2010 1:56:40 AM

Hi Linda,

Yes, I did chase the little guys down and wrung their necks on a few occassions. Yes, they do still sometimes run, even after their neck is broken, something about a nervous response. Not a pretty sight, if I must say.

What I miss most about those days though, was growing our own Vegetables, naturally, without all of the Chemicals. Going out to the fields and picking a ripe Tomato, wiping the dust off with my T-shirt, and taking a big juicy bite or two. Those were the days.

Anyway, I'll go with your Son and stick to the Breasts. With this one, at least you don't have to Thaw out the Breasts and Butterfly them.

Crockpot Apricot Chicken

This super simple four ingredient crockpot recipe is so delicious and flavorful. Serve over hot cooked rice, pasta, or couscous. In response to the 'very sweet' comments, I added a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar the last time I made this, and we loved it!

Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 8 hours

Ingredients:

• 6 frozen skinless, boneless chicken breasts (frozen, not thawed)
  • 1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
  • 1/2 cup Russian or French salad dressing
  • 1 cup sugar-free apricot preserves or jam
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme or basil leaves
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper

Preparation:

In 3-4 quart slow cooker, arrange chicken pieces. Mix remaining ingredients in a medium bowl and pour over chicken. Stir to coat. Cover crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken is thoroughly cooked and tender.

If you like, you can thicken the mixture before serving. Combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water or chicken stock and mix until smooth. Add to the crockpot; turn to high for 10-15 minutes until sauce is thickened. Serve with hot cooked rice or pasta. Serves 6

Have A Blessed Weekend My Friend,

Phil

+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/28/2010 2:30:35 PM

We seem to be on a chili kick! This one is easy, slow cook, and beefy. We love it!

Beef Crock Pot Chili:

Slow-Cooker Hearty Beef Chili

1-1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1 can (15 oz.) dark red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
1 can (15 oz.) light red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
1-1/2 cups TACO BELL® HOME ORIGINALS® Thick 'N Chunky Mild Salsa
1 can (16 oz.) no-salt added tomato sauce
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 onion, chopped
1 cup frozen corn, thawed, drained
1 cup KRAFT Mexican Style Finely Shredded Four Cheese
concordance-end

Make It!

BROWN meat; drain. Add to slow cooker with remaining ingredients except cheese; stir. Cover with lid.

COOK on LOW for 5 to 6 hours (or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours).

STIR just before serving. Serve topped with the cheese.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!