Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
7/31/2010 9:13:01 PM

Hello Everyone,

Just realized that I haven't cranked up the Crockpot in over a week, so let's just see what we can do about that.

This is a old family recipe passed along down through the Family over the years. It's so simple...just four ingredients thrown in the slow cooker! Not only is it great to come home to a hot delicious meal...your home will also smell wonderful too! It is great with the extra gravy spooned over either egg noodles or perhaps with mashed potatoes.

Cousin David's Slow Cooker Brisket

Ingredients

• 1 (3 pound) beef brisket
  • 2 (12 ounce) bottles chili sauce
  • 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder

Directions

1. Place the beef brisket into a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mix together the chili sauce, onion soup mix, and garlic powder. Pour over the brisket. Cover, and cook on the Low setting for 8 to 10 hours. Slice the brisket against the grain, and pour the gravy over the slices.

Have A Happy Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/31/2010 10:20:30 PM

Hi Phil,

We are not such big users of Chilli sauce here in the UK as you guys are.

I love something different and your brisket sounds great.

How hot is the result? Compared with an everyday CilliConCarne for example.

Roger

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/31/2010 11:48:01 PM

Hi Roger,

Thanks for stopping back by. Glad your finding some useful info and hopefully some tasty recipes. Some of us over here in the States, such as myself, use a bit more Chili Sauce than others, if you know what I mean.

How hot is the Chili Sauce is not an easy question to answer. There are many recipes for chili sauces. Of course, the most common ingredient is chili peppers, and then the peppers are infused in anything from vinegar, oil, water, beer and alcohol to fruits and vegetable pulp. Also, additional ingredients are often used, including those used to add extra heat, such as pure capsaicin extract and mustards.

The easiest way to determine the heat of a sauce which you are considering, is to look at the ingredients. Sauces tend to vary in heat by the ingredients in them.

• Jalapeño - These sauces include green and red jalapeño chilis, and chipotle. Green jalapeño and chipotle are usually the mildest sauces available. Red jalapeño sauce is generally hotter.
  • Cayenne/Chile - Sauces made with cayenne and/or other red chilis, including most of the Louisiana-style sauces, are usually hotter than jalapeño but milder than other sauces.
  • Tabasco - Sauces made with tabasco peppers, like Tabasco sauce, are generally hotter than cayenne pepper sauces. Along with Tabasco, a number of "extra hot" sauces are made using a combination of tabasco and cayenne or other chili peppers.

• Habanero - Habanero pepper sauces are almost the hottest natural pepper sauces only second to the Bhut Jolokia or Nada Jolokia, better known as Ghost Pepper. They contain either habanero only, or a combination of habanero and other peppers.

• Capsaicin extract - The hottest sauces are made from capsaicin extract. These range from extremely hot pepper sauce blends to pure capsaicin extracts. These sauces are extremely hot and should be considered with caution by those not used to fiery foods. Many are too hot to consume more than a drop or two in a pot of food. These novelty sauces are typically only sold by specialty retailers and are usually more expensive.

• Other ingredients - Heat is also affected by other ingredients. Many sauces contain tomatoes, carrots (in habanero sauces), onions, garlic or other vegetables and seasonings. Generally, the more ingredients in a sauce, the more diluted the effect of the chilis, resulting in a milder flavor.

The heat, or burning sensation, experienced when consuming hot sauce is caused by capsaicin. The burning sensation is not "real" in the true sense of any damage being wrought on tissues. It is instead simply a chemical reaction with the body's neurological system. Capsaicin is the chemical responsible for the "hot" taste of chili peppers. This compound is fat soluble and therefore water will be of no assistance when countering the burn. The most effective way to relieve the burning sensation it causes are dairy products, such as milk and yogurt. I must emphasize again, Water should never be used to relieve the burning sensation, as water only opens up the taste buds. Milk however has been found to work quite effectively. Believe me this comes from personal experience, because I love hot, spicy foods, the hotter the better, and I have tried most of the hot sauces available on the market, including one where I had to sign a Waiver before purchasing it.

Hope that I've at least partially answered your question. I cannot necessarily compare it to Chili Con Carne for example, because my Chili Con Carne, would probably be much hotter than yours, because of the ingredients I use. For instance, I generally use only sauces made from Habanero Peppers.

If you'll click on the HOT Graphic below, you'll hear a favorite selection of mine, from wouldn't you guess,

The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Hope Your Week Is Terrific,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/1/2010 12:00:19 AM

Thanks Phil,

I LOVE HOT HOT HOT

but the family don't so have to be careful.

The very strange thing is that I suffer from an ulcerated stomach problem (no ulcers but similar symptoms).

I take medication to control acid production BUT I can eat RED HOT, No problem.

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/1/2010 12:54:10 AM

Hi Roger,

I knew that we had a lot in common, besides just liking Cats. Sound like your situation's similar to mine at home. I often have to make double batches of many things, because I make it hot, hot, hot for myself, my sister-in-law, and my oldest Nephew, and "wimpy" mild for everyone else. We also share the ulcerated stomach symptons, or at least we once did. I was diagnosed with my first Ulcer at age 13 (I had my first drink at 11, I'm ashamed to say) and it finally got so bad that I was drinking my Scotch with milk.

Praise God, with His hand on my shoulder, I stopped the drinking back on October 15, 1983, and I discovered Aloe Vera Juice the following year in 1984, while working for LifePlus. Of course, I now buy my Aloe Vera Juice in bulk, and wholesale, as long as it's Whole Leaf & Cold Processed. I also have started adding a little powdered Sugar Free Kool-Aid for taste, because it can be a little rough when it's raw like that. I simply consume 4oz. every morning and 4 oz. again every evening, and I eat whatever I want, the hotter the better, with no after effects, and no prescriptions for acid reflux and such.

As I said, I sincerely hope that my little Forum thread is helpful to you all, and I wish everyone a Happy Weekend and Happy Eating.

God Bless You All My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!