Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
6/13/2010 5:58:25 AM

Hi Phil,

You certainly have some unusual recipes, much different than what I find online or in local restaurants. Some sound very tasty, others appear a little too spicy for my midwestern taste buds. Thanks for sharing such a nice variety! There is something for everyone.

DonnaZ

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/21/2010 11:07:21 PM

Hi Sara & Donna,

It's always good to see you both here at the Forum and I'm so glad that you both seem to enjoy the recipes that I share from time to time. I love to cook, and of course, I love to eat as well, so it always makes me smile when I can share with my Friends.

Sara, you mentioned the three hamburgers at a meal, and I can remember when I had a "healthy " appetite like that. These days, I have to watch what I eat more closely, or pretty soon, it's all right out front, where everyone can watch it and really see what all I've been eating, if you know what I mean. A slow cooker can sometimes be the solution.. These healthy and delicious, low-cal meals, make healthy eating a snap, since leaner, less fatty cuts of meat still turn out tender in a slow cooker and you can get by with using less salt and oil because the flavors have time to meld together.

Here's one I hope that y'all might like, and Donna, it's also another way to eat those healthy Chickpeas besides in Hummus...

Vegetable and Chickpea Curry

Ingredients

3 cups cauliflower florets
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 cup loose-pack frozen cut green beans
1 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 14-ounce can vegetable broth
2-3 teaspoons curry powder
1 14-ounce can light coconut milk
1/4 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
Cooked brown rice (optional)

Directions

1. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine cauliflower, chickpeas, green beans, carrots, and onion. Stir in broth and curry powder.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
3. Stir in coconut milk and shredded basil leaves. Spoon rice, if using, into bowls, and ladle curry over the top.

Have A Terrific Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/8/2010 6:42:44 PM

Hello Everyone,

When traveling through the Gulf States over the years, I'd always loved the Cajun Roast Beef, you could often get in the delis, right alongside the regular. It tasted delicious, with a distinctively garlicky flavor, and I'd wanted to try roasting it in my own kitchen, but found very few recipes. Here's my version, not quite as spicy, but it still has the garlic and thyme that meld together to make a savory, regional flavor. My family seems to like it and I hope yours will as well.

Cajun Roast Beef

Ingredients

• 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
  • 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons malt vinegar
  • 2 pounds beef eye of round roast

Directions

1. Stir the garlic, horseradish, hot pepper sauce, thyme, salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning, olive oil, and malt vinegar together in a bowl until thoroughly blended.
  2. Pierce the beef roast all over with a meat fork. Place the roast in a large, resealable plastic bag. Spoon in the marinade and turn the roast so it's well coated. Refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally if desired.
  3. When ready to cook, place the roast in a slow cooker along with any remaining marinade. Do not add water. Roast on Low for 8 to 10 hours, or until desired doneness. For medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 135 degrees F (57 degrees C). Remove from the slow cooker to a serving plate, and allow to rest 15 minutes before slicing across the grain.

Have A Great Weekend As Well,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/11/2010 6:11:48 PM

Hello Friends,

Here's one that's easy to prepare and you'll likely have all of the ingredients either handy at home, or with just a quick trip to the market. It's a real treat to come home from a hard day at work and have this savory soup ready to eat. Just a nice traditional beef soup with old-fashioned goodness, and it's great when paired with crusty rolls topped with melted mozzarella cheese.

Slow Cooker Veggie-Beef Soup with Okra

• 1 pound ground beef
  • 1/4 cup onion, chopped
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
  • 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen okra
  • 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef and onion until beef is evenly brown and onion is tender. Drain grease.
  2. In a slow cooker, mix the beef and onion, diced tomatoes, Italian diced tomatoes, vegetables, okra, potatoes, ketchup, salt, and pepper. Pour in enough water to cover.
  3. Cover slow cooker, and cook 4 hours on Low.

Have A Terrific Week My Friends,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/17/2010 12:58:56 AM

Hello My Friends,

Since we've all had some of that delicious Soup, let's try another Healthy Variety, that's quite tasty as well...

Sausage Barley Soup

This is a nice soup recipe with a lot of texture and flavor. It is a welcome change for those weeks when there doesn't seem to be a lot of variety. Even the kids will love it. This can also be cooked in a pan on the stove until the barley and carrot are tender, but I prefer the slow cooker method. The flavors seem to blend better and it's so much easier to prepare.

Ingredients

• 1 pound Italian sausage
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 (48 fluid ounce) can chicken broth
  • 1 large carrot, sliced
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
  • 1/4 cup uncooked pearl barley

Directions

1. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage, onion, and garlic until the sausage is evenly brown. Season with Italian seasoning. Remove from heat, and drain.
  2. In a slow cooker, mix the sausage mixture, chicken broth, carrot, spinach, and barley.
  3. Cover, and cook 4 hours on High or 6 to 8 hours on Low.

Happy Weekend My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!