Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
5/25/2010 11:20:09 PM

Hi Linda & Donna,

So glad you all liked the Cheesy Bread. Like I say, I can't have it very often, however I do fix it whenever I can still do so without a guilty conscience.

Here's one that's a little healthier, and still quite tasty...

Caribbean Sweet Potato Bean Stew

Ingredients:
2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes

2 cups frozen cut green beans

1 can (about 15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained

1 can (about 14 ounces) low-sodium vegetable broth

1 small onion, sliced

2 teaspoons Caribbean jerk seasoning

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted*

Hot pepper sauce (optional)

*To toast almonds, spread in single layer on baking sheet. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.

Preparation:
1. Combine sweet potatoes, beans, broth, onion, jerk seasoning, thyme, salt and cinnamon in slow cooker. Cover; cook on LOW 5 to 6 hours or until vegetables are tender.

2. Adjust seasonings and serve with almonds and hot pepper sauce, if desired.
Hope You All Enjoy,
Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/4/2010 12:43:53 AM

Hi Everyone,

I apologize for not being over here more. I promise I will make myself more visible from now on. Let's get started back with one of my favorite combinations...

Crockpot Chicken and Shrimp

Ingredients:

• 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 14 ounce can seasoned diced tomatoes
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 8 ounce package frozen cooked shrimp, thawed
  • 12 ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

Preparation:

Cut chicken into large chunks and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Place onion and garlic in bottom of 3-4 quart slow cooker and top with chicken. Combine the diced tomatoes with their liquid, the tomato paste, chicken broth, thyme, oregano, and lemon juice in a medium bowl and mix well. Pour over chicken. Cover crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken is tender and thoroughly cooked.

Stir in thawed and drained shrimp, thawed, and drained and chopped artichoke hearts mixed with cornstarch. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes longer until thoroughly heated and slightly thickened. Serve over hot cooked pasta or couscous and sprinkle with feta cheese. 4 servings
Have A Blessed Week,
Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/7/2010 10:07:39 PM

Hello My Friends,

I've been talking about Greek food at one of the other Forums, so how about a little Greek Food for the Crockpot...

Greek-Style Beef Stew

Slow-cooking this stew gives you mouthwatering beef and tender vegetables. But what makes it Greek-style? It's the addition of just the right amount of bay, cinnamon and cloves.

Ingredient:

1 boneless beef bottom round roast or chuck pot roast (about 2 pounds), cut into 1-inch pieces
1 bags (16 ounces) frozen whole small white onions
1 bag (16 ounces) fresh or frozen whole baby carrots
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups Swanson® Beef Stock
1 can (5.5 ounces) V8® 100% Vegetable Juice
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
Bouquet Garni
Hot cooked egg noodles

Directions:

Place the beef, onions and carrots into a 4-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with the flour and toss to coat.

Stir the stock, vegetable juice and brown sugar in a medium bowl until the mixture is smooth. Pour the stock mixture over the beef and vegetables. Submerge the Bouquet Garni into the stock mixture.

Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours (or HIGH 4 to 5 hrs) or until the beef is fork-tender. Remove the Bouquet Garni. Serve the beef mixture over the noodles.

TIP Bouquet Garni: Lay a 4-inch square of cheesecloth flat on the counter. Place 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves, 1 cinnamon stick and 1 bay leaf in the center of the cloth. Bring the corners of the cloth together and tie with kitchen string into a bundle.

A Delicious Serving Suggestion: Serve along with steamed cut green beans and sliced carrots and toasted pita bread wedges. For Dessert offer a yogurt parfait: Just layer vanilla yogurt with toasted coconut and fresh blueberries or sliced strawberries. Yummy!

Have A Delightful Monday,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/12/2010 11:06:58 PM

Hi Everyone,

Here's a little something different, and one that I think you'll really like...

Crock Pot Chicken Curry with Apple, Banana, and Tomato

2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and diced
1 banana, sliced
1 apple, sliced but not peeled
1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes (I used 2 medium tomatoes)
1 large onion, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, crushed (I used 4)
2 1/2 tablespoons curry
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
2-3 bay leaves
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup coconut milk (you can use the whole can if you like, but I used 1 cup to cut back on calories)
2 tablespoons Wondra (or flour, if you have no Wondra)
4 cups cooked rice or naan (for serving)

Chop up your onion, jalapeno pepper, apple, and the banana and throw it all in the crock pot. Crush your garlic and throw that in, too. Then chop up your tomato and chicken, too, and throw that into the pot. If you have some ground flaxseed, throw a few tablespoons of that in for good measure, along with your curry, cumin, salt, bay leaves, and white wine. Sprinkle your flour or Wondra over the top of it all.

Set your crock pot on low for 6-7 hours and go about your day.

When ready, enjoy it with some rice or naan.

Have A Terrific Weekend,

Phil

+0
6/13/2010 2:13:44 AM

Sounds wonderful Phil! We are having hamburgers tonight. Gus only had 3 I believe with potaoes and salad!

He is a hungry working guy!

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!