Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: 'How little we know?' by Roger Macdivitt
9/27/2009 1:29:53 PM

Hi LuisMiguel,

Winslow Homer's paintings are fantastic, all that I've seen here are so realistic, I can almost feel and smell the air of the surroundings.  I've heard of him but wasn't familiar with his works, I especially like "Salt Kettle, Bermuda" (great water reflection!) and "On The Trail" (just like being there in crispy fall leaves).

Just try to maintain your utmost patience with the new ALP and remember you have friends who will help you post graphics when you can't.  Patience only wears thinnest when we're getting our buttons pushed, and I don't think anyone would needle you guys!  So be happy in the lack of personal button-pushing and keep going forward with as much patience as possible.

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/27/2009 3:22:24 PM

Just a little more to whet appetites

Kathleen, great info from Luis too

Luis, appreciated

+0
9/28/2009 1:38:07 PM

Roger & Luis, a great new start on your Great Art of the World.  Roger, I feel sure I have seen Winslow Homer's works before but know little of him.  It is good to have a tour and lecture by those who do know him.  Sorry I am late getting here, I sorta took the weekend off.  Did not turn my computer on yesterday at all!!  Thanks for the message, Roger.  I see you are getting great lessons from Luis also.  Luis, I had forgotten the upload deal!  Remember the CD's I told you I have on Art & Music - I searched them but did not find Homer.  They missed a good one.  While I love all of the ones you guys have posted, this I find so striking posted by Alain.

You must admit, those waves are fantastic and watercolor...

You have my full support (for whatever that means).  I will post the link in both my forums.  I am sure our art lovers will want to visit here.  Thank for supporting the Art Gallery.  May we all have a wonderful week!

Sara

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/28/2009 5:03:37 PM

Hi Luis,

Thanks to Sara I found this.  I have lost a lot of things in the past couple of months.  But thankfully I am here to see this lovely forum that Roger has started. I think you could add a lot of people to your list of wonderers, but things are getting better, so onward we go.

Hugs, Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/28/2009 6:20:45 PM

Dear Branka,

You may know that the Tibetan Buddhist monks laboriously "paint" wonderful, beautiful sand mandalas rich in profound spiritual and symbolic meaning about what they perceive as our real, trascendental universe according to the Buddha doctrine. More wonderful than the ethereal beauty of these mandalas is the fact that the monks use variously colored sands to "paint" those mandalas collectively, and that in doing so (which usually takes a long while to complete) they must cover their nostrils so as to not blow the powder up with their breathing, which would destroy the unfinished work all too prematurely.

I guess the monks must be armed with a lot of patience - Buddhist patience - in order to successfully complete "their" mandala (of course it is not theirs, they are not supposed to possess anything). Another thought that comes to mind is, they must derive a very special spiritual joy while working on it and, I expect, some kind of satisfaction when it is finished out.

How then can the fact be explained that right after they have completed their work they immediately go on and instantaneously destroy it by purposedly blowing on it? Quite simply, from the fact that the ritual of creating the mandala has had no other purpose than emphasize the impermanence of all things, of all life and of all works and, above all, of the biggest of them all - our own universe. They have just represented, in all its wonderful and inexorable way, the cosmic drama of the creation and disolution of the universe. 

For all my personal wishes and the effort that I would like to put on it, I am afraid that I will never possess this kind of patience.   However, your point is clear and has hit on target.

Thank you,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!