Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: 'How little we know?' by Roger Macdivitt
9/29/2009 4:31:03 AM

Winslow Homer's pictures are wonderful.  Thank you Luis and Roger.  I just found this thead.  There are so many wonderful threads that are passing me by.  I'm so used to getting notifications with some CONTENT.  And so used to seeing "past posts" posted in a better format.

This format is good for the painting.  Thank you for offering them to us.

Friendship to both of you,

Pat

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/29/2009 7:08:01 AM

Luis,

Time to go to my tasks now but I had to say thank you for your latest Winslow Homer paintings. I am trying to find out if any of his work is hanging in London.

I have to go to London in two weeks time.

I'm glad that my thought caused sparks in the mind. I am more and more aware of shared thoughts and the connections that you mention.

Roger 

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/29/2009 11:11:06 AM

Dear Friends and visitors,

Before the minute tasks of the day take from me their toll in time, I will post three more paintings by Winslow Homer. The three are most dissimilar from one another yet they share as common element water, whether from the sea or a river or lake, but always wonderfully treated by him - particularly in watercolors. Another common characteristic is the great dramatic atmosphere of all three - even the third one, where it is given by the intense colors, especially the blue tonality, and the style, almost Japaneese-like - as well as by the poetry they are all filled with.  

The first painting features fisherwomen at a beach and indeed is very beautiful, but also very dramatic in the treatment of the beach and sea that frequently serves as a frame to Homer Winslow's characters - who are the same with which Roger precisely created this thread, fisherwomen - and more specifically in the stormy sky and the time of day, apparently dusk. 

On the Sands (1881)

I was hesitating as to include or not the painting below, actually my best favorite in Winslow Homer whole production by its eerie beauty but also one that causes me profound distress by the inherent cruelty of the hunting scene and the painful look of sadness?, incredulity? in the deer face at his approaching death. 

A Good Shot, Adirondacks (1892)

And finally, the "Japaneese" scene: in my view, a perfect accomplishment in watercolor painting despite of its being a mere sketch, apparently made right from the natural with rapid strokes of intense color and without any previous draft.

The Coming Storm (1901)

And this is all for now. See you later.

Thank you,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/29/2009 4:27:45 PM

Dear Sara,

Thank you for your kind words and especially for your offer to post the link to this threat in your forum, we sure may use visitors from it. It's true Winslow Homer is a great unknown artist to the public. As I told Roger in my first post, I myself knew very little about him and of his many paintings I only had one in my archives - a not very important work in my opinion and very similar to those painted by Millet, the founder of the Barbizon school, portraying a man working in the corn fields with a sickle in his hand.

By the way, Millet seems to have been the only painter that somewhat influenced Winslow Homer's work, yet in an early stage of his career only.

Actually Winslow Homer very rarely, if ever, tried to paint like any other artist after he became an accomplished artist in his own right. Regarding this, however, I think I have discovered an interesting possibility in a beautiful master piece by him, The Bridle Path,  that I would like to present to you below as a token of my special recognition to you. It was painted in oil on canvas shortly after he visited Europe in 1867, where he remained for a year. I may be wrong, but I think there is a probable influence in it from the great Baroque Spanish painter Diego Velazquez's works - in particular from his equestrian portraits.

Winslow Homer - The Bridle Path (1868)

I would like to point out that what little I know about Winslow Homer's life and works I have learned after Roger MacDivitt arose my interest in him by creating this threat.

Sincerely,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/30/2009 12:02:13 AM

Luis,

Great pictures.

In the "Japanese" one, do you think that the bending tree is growing like that because of the prevailing wind from the sea, or has a squall from the approaching storm hit it?

In the Spanish painting the light quality is wonderful.

Roger 

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!