Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: 'How little we know?' by Roger Macdivitt
9/16/2009 10:31:44 PM

Luis,

So pleased that you are managing to post.

Unfortunately I still cannot post pictures or anything not typed into posting box.

I now have Firefox and IE 8 but still no luck.

Everytime I try to paste a picture (if I click on the picture symbol I get a box full of Polish and questions about picture size).

Anyway, so sorry not to be able to bring a lot of beautiful pictures.

Unfortunately I have no spare time to undertake any computer changes.

Love and miss you all. I WILL overcome, but not quite yet.

Roger

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/17/2009 2:19:18 AM

Hello Roger,

Your explanation in the last paragraph of your post just left me wondering. I will try to follow the process of posting an image as if I were you and will see if what you describe also shows in my screen.

As I see it, you have two options after you click on the picture symbol and the box opens. The first one is the default option that automatically shows; it corresponds to the first tab of the box. This was in fact the only option in the old Adland format. You use it only when you know the url of the image (i.e. the image must be hosted on a web page). You get the url by right clicking on it and clicking "properties", then "web address"or something like that. Sorry for all this explanation but I am assuming that you are a total newbie at posting pictures.

So with the above option you just have to insert the url into the long and thin window that runs from left to right almost at the top of the box. Forget all about the other little windows that ask for width, height and other data, and forget about the larger square window with the Latin words at the bottom right corner of the box as well. Once you have inserted the url above, you may click, if you like, inside of this latter larger box to preview the image. If everything looks fine, you click OK.

The other option, as shown after pressing the third "upload" tab at the top of the box, is a little more complicate but at the same time, more practical if you want to download a picture from your own PC. Here you search for your picture in your folders (within your documents or elsewhere in your PC) and you then press "download". But it doesn't end there, as you still must press the button that reads "Send it to the server". This will bring the image over to the post; again, if you want to preview the image, you may click inside the square window that will show at the bottom-right corner of the box. Then click "OK" and Voila!  This is the option I have followed this time. The image is worth the effort.

Winslow Homer - On the Trail (c.1892)

If after doing all the above you still don't get to post a picture, then I am sorry, it means that I must have misunderstood your description of what you did. 

Best Wishes,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/27/2009 3:23:19 AM

Dear Friends,

As posting at forums goes, something that frequently makes me sad is seeing how a good, very special and dear topic as this one is ends up little by little deserted by its followers. Sometimes this occurs all of a sudden, in particular when there has been a specific cause for it, such as has been the case here (but fear not, this time I will not say a word about it). Now maybe it is too late to revive this one; but the fact is, I have been wanting to post some other works by Winslow Homer than those already exhibited. I could even add a little biographical information about the artist, and, since the real owner of this topic is, in fact, Roger, I might do it in a way that looks like a casual commentary... 

I read somewhere that unlike most of the artists of his time, Winslow Homer did not favor for a painter to study the works of other painters. Furthermore, he recommended that young artists never see other art works lest their own work might suffer in the process, and they end up adopting another's style or, still worse, some 'ism' in vogue at the time as their own.   

And he lived by his teachings. He would very rarely, if ever, look at other painters' works, especially after he decided to put up an atelier and work independently as a painter - mainly as a watercolor painter. From them on, he simply set to the task of building his own style of painting in a vigorous and most inspired manner yet not on purpose but, I think, spontaneously, rather as a natural process of discovering his own style. I can imagine how it would be like. He naturally loved to paint, and he wanted to perfect his way of depicting what he saw and how he saw it. He would resort to his natural aptitudes and his own likes and dislikes as to the motives and mediums he used in order to methodically advance in his career and his art. He would do "what he could with what he had where he was"... The result could not be other than total, personal success.   

I guess all great artists and musicians and writers were like that. They were not followers; they were - not always, but mainly - followed.

I will continue tomorrow, if possible, with posting the paintings.

Thank you,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Branka Babic

2716 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/27/2009 4:40:52 AM

Hi Luis & Miguel and Roger,

"PATIENCE" is word which was sent for this time to teach us about it`s deeper meaning. Great and so worthy word.

I am sure such a great forums, like yours, will not become just dust collectors. Now when we have been adapted to the ALP change, we must seek for our own (change).

Changing ourself patiently.  

This sounds to me too good.

Your topic (and all the topics about an art) are so good didactically  tools to learn that. Being an artist yourself - you actually know how amazing is that sense of growing up.

Let`s grow up, using an art`s tools, creating new social patterns. Offering, i.e. - AWE and readiness to WATCH AT -  instead of presumptions  :) .

Have a great Sunday!

Love,

Branka

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/27/2009 10:29:04 AM

Luis and Branka,

This forum is still set for bigger things I'm sure.

I'll have a word with our friend Sara.

Roger

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!